What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing iTunes Library

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to move my wife's iPad from syncing on her PC to syncing on my MacBook Air. When I did it for her iPhone it completely messed up the arrangement of her app screens (she was a good sport about it but I feel bad).

Anyway to change the syncing computer without messing up her apps?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are both on the same iTunes account then open iTunes and hook up your wife's iPad to your Mac. I use the PC version so I am not 100% sure on this part but right click on your wife's iPad listed on the left column of iTunes and press on transfer purchases. Also right click and back up device while you are at it. Now towards the top middle of the iTunes screen press on Apps blade. Check the box to sync apps with this device and ignore the warning about her apps will be removed for this device and synced with this Mac. Now go to the bottom right of the iTunes screen and click on sync. As soon as you do this the progress bar towards the top middle of your screen will start to show it is syncing and there is a small "X" at the right hand side of the progress bar that you will want to click right away to stop iTunes from erasing the apps from your wife's iPad. Now that it is stopped syncing close iTunes and then reopen it again. You will now notice under the apps blade that your wife's apps are all order and now you can go ahead and sync away without messing up the way she has the apps arranged.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had already messed up things. I hope I do not need to do it again, but I guess I will when I change computers.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do it the way I posted you should have no problems and it will not mess up your wife's apps. Have a great weekend Mike.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks - you have one too.

Gotta remember the "Stop the First Sync" trick next time!

Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts