What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Show Goes Missing After Synch

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2, version 4.3.5, 32GB, not jailbroken. I have purchased and downloaded a TV show episode from iTunes directly to my iPad. It plays just fine as a TV Show in the Videos application on the iPad. Until....I synch the iPad via USB to my PC. After the synch, the TV show no longer shows under Videos on the iPad, and the TV Shows label is not there. The TV episode does appear under TV Shows in the iTunes Library on my PC. And I can play the show on my PC from iTunes. But it does not synch back to the iPad. In order to get the episode back on my iPad, I have to re-download it (via WiFi) on the iPad; this takes about 40 minutes. After which it shows again under Videos/TV Shows. And, when I later again synch, the episode disappears again. Since I paid for it the first time, I do not have to pay for it again, but it is a nuisance to have to re-download it each time after I synch. I did a search in the forum, but did not see my precise problem mentioned. Would appreciate any guidance to prevent the synch from deleting my TV episode.

OP
retexan599

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe that item got unchecked in iTunes.
Are you on manual or auto for iTunes content?
AA
In iTunes on my PC, the item labeled 'Sync TV Shows' is checked, and to 'Automatically include all episodes of all shows'.

Not sure where to look to see whether I am on 'manual or auto for iTunes content'. When I plug in the USB cable to the iPad, the Sync commences automatically, is that what you mean?

OP
retexan599

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Applecare and talked to them about this issue. They helped me troubleshoot and it seems the problem is tied to Standard Definition vs High Definition video. I have downloaded an SD version of the shows and they do not disappear when I sync, but the HD version does disappear. There are still some oddities going on; for example, if I download from iTunes on the PC, there is only an HD version available and that will not sync to the iPad; if I download directly to the iPad, there is a choice betwee SD and HD, so I am using the SD version on the iPad. But at least I have a version that does not get deleted upon syncing. I will see how this works out in future, but that is where it stands now.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions