What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad with IOS 6.0 to 6.1 using evasi0n

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm doing a jailbreak now, and Injecting Stage 2 step 1/3 is taking a really long time, and it's making me quite nervous!
If the jailbreak fails, what is procedure? DFU again or can we just restart evasi0n?
here's hoping it makes it...

It should only take a few seconds at each stage, and be completed within minutes overall.

Re-start the iPad and re-start the evasi0n tool and try again. Ensue you have shut down every process that you can on the PC which may interfere with it. Anti-virus, firewall, etc.

Good Luck.

shenacat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I had to go through the process again:

1. DFU Mode, restore to 6.1
2. Restore Itunes
3. unlock iPad & go through initial setup to get to home screen
4. run evasi0n

I had tried it without doing step 3 before and it wasn't working. :)

Stupid me. Thanks guys!! it works perfectly now.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted. And yeah, iPad has to be initialized in order to evasi0n to see it.

Regardless - a happy outcome. Now - go forth and enjoy your iPad. :)

Marilyn

pdacrazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

This sounds so good. JAILBREAKING...

I am very new to iPad world. I just bought my first iPad 4. After reading this forum I am keen to jailbreak my iPad but i have few question though if you could answer please?

After Jailbreak -
1. Will i be getting Apple ios updates and will i be able to install them?
2. Once I install the Apple ios update then will my iPad be unJailbreak?
3. What if i want to unJailbreak my iPad after jailbreak and if i want to be in condition in which it is right now?
4. Will i break the Apple warranty after doing Jailbreak.

Thanks In advance.

JM

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

This sounds so good. JAILBREAKING...

I am very new to iPad world. I just bought my first iPad 4. After reading this forum I am keen to jailbreak my iPad but i have few question though if you could answer please?

After Jailbreak -
1. Will i be getting Apple ios updates and will i be able to install them?
2. Once I install the Apple ios update then will my iPad be unJailbreak?

You will still get "nagging notices" from Apple to upgrade your iOS. However, you don't have to upgrade - because if you do install the iOS updates, you WILL lose your jail break.

Oh, and do note that, with a jail broken iPad, you cannot install iOS updates with the over-the-air option (it won't work on a jail broken iPad). Any/all updates must be done via iTunes. Again, however, if you update, you will lose any jail break.

3. What if i want to unJailbreak my iPad after jailbreak and if i want to be in condition in which it is right now?

Putting your iPad back to stock is easily done by connecting the iPad to iTunes and clicking the "Restore" button (after backing up, of course, so you don't lose all your stock settings and data).

4. Will i break the Apple warranty after doing Jailbreak.

Thanks In advance.

JM

Yes, Apple has stated that a jail broken iPad may lose the warranty. However, as you can easily restore the ipad to stock - it's really not something we worry about (see your question 3 for how easily an iPad can go back to stock).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Mira01172003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can someone tell me how to look for help...I am new to the forum. I decided to jailbreak my ipad 3 (used evasion) I now have CYDIA and SB settings installed..when I try to buy an app or power up in a game the app crashes. So as of right now I can't purchase items for games such as candy crush and subway surf, the game just shuts off. Also, my Ipad keeps turning powering on and off by itself. I know nothing about how to JB..I just viewed youtube videos for help. Thanks!

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) a backup can take a long time to restore via iCloud depending on its size. Some of my large backups are a couple of GB - 20 minutes might not be long enough to wait.
2) if your backup is on iCloud, you must restore it before jailbreaking due to the way IOS6 works. That is no problem with this jailbreak as the backup mechanism is being exploited in a very different way than Absinthe (which performed a full backup and restore).

So the sequence is.

1. Backup.
2. iTunes restore to IOS 6.1
3. Choose to restore from backup when finished
4. Jailbreak using evasi0n

Sorry if this has been answered before. I have an ipad mini not jailbroken running 6.0.2. I have done some preparatory steps for jailbreak. I have downloaded evasi0n, I have downloaded the firmware ipsw file for my ipad mini wifi only (model A 1432), downloaded tiny umbrella. The blob I get is 6.1 (my current IOS is 6.0.2 <-- is this correct?). I have also downloaded pUTTY. I have backed up my ipad mini using iTunes.

My question:

In step 2., do I have to restore (or should it be install) IOS 6.1 via DFU mode? My ipad is not jailbroken. Is it possible to just used the iTunes upgrade option without going into DFU. Will the firmware be the same as my ipad was bought in Asia? (Model A 1432). If I use itunes (connected with usb cable) to upgrade the IOS, will I get the APTicket?

Reason for all these questions is that I have never done DFU and I'm really worried I may screw it up.

In step 3., after I upgrade IOS using cable attached to iTunes, do I still need to restore my backup? The last time I upgraded the IOS (from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2), it was on the air. I did not have to restore backup.

Thank you for your patience.:)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before. I have an ipad mini not jailbroken running 6.0.2. I have done some preparatory steps for jailbreak. I have downloaded evasi0n, I have downloaded the firmware ipsw file for my ipad mini wifi only (model A 1432), downloaded tiny umbrella. The blob I get is 6.1 (my current IOS is 6.0.2 <-- is this correct?). I have also downloaded pUTTY. I have backed up my ipad mini using iTunes.

My question:

In step 2., do I have to restore (or should it be install) IOS 6.1 via DFU mode? My ipad is not jailbroken. Is it possible to just used the iTunes upgrade option without going into DFU. Will the firmware be the same as my ipad was bought in Asia? (Model A 1432). If I use itunes (connected with usb cable) to upgrade the IOS, will I get the APTicket?

Reason for all these questions is that I have never done DFU and I'm really worried I may screw it up.

In step 3., after I upgrade IOS using cable attached to iTunes, do I still need to restore my backup? The last time I upgraded the IOS (from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2), it was on the air. I did not have to restore backup.

Thank you for your patience.:)

In your scenario, all you need to do is use iTunes to Update to 6.1 (then run evasi0n)
You don't need to use DFU or the "restore" option, nor do you need to use your backup (although you should still have a backup just in case).
And 6.1 blobs are all you should expect to have. If you use iTunes to update you will have fully valid APTickets.

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I will try doing it tonight. Wish me luck. :eek::)

I did my jailbreak just now. Yea!!! The funny part is that the evasi0n portion took only a few minutes. Whats the scary part was updating to to IOS 6.1. It took half an hour just for iTunes to download the upgrade. I was also having problems because my c: drive was full.

I have now installed ...

Iconbounce:p
No Update
Kill all resets?
Winterboard:eek:
Swipe Selection :thumbs:

Last edited:

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try this later when I have the time. It will be great to be JB again.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I will try doing it tonight. Wish me luck. :eek::)

I did my jailbreak just now. Yea!!! The funny part is that the evasi0n portion took only a few minutes. Whats the scary part was updating to to IOS 6.1. It took half an hour just for iTunes to download the upgrade. I was also having problems because my c: drive was full.

I have now installed ...

Iconbounce:p
No Update
Kill all resets?
Winterboard:eek:
Swipe Selection :thumbs:

Just for reference, No Update is no longer required for evasi0n based jailbreaks. They have included protection in the jailbreak to prevent the OTA update feature being used ;)

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just JB my iPad2! I couldnt wait until later. Im so excited again to have JB!

texasez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on a ipad 3 with version 5.something.
What is new in 6.1 that I need to go thru the trouble of updating, jail breaking, and installing everything again. Was google maps screwed up on 6.1 ipad as it was on iphone.
Tell me why to update?

Most reactions

Latest posts