What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad with IOS 6.0 to 6.1 using evasi0n

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only you can make the decision to update - after research to see what changes (and problems) are present with the new iOS version.

However, I always recommend upgrading to the most current iOS version you can. It helps you to keep up-to-date with app developers and their changes (many apps now only work on iOS 6).

Again, it's solely up to you. And, to be on-topic: This thread exists to help you jail break once (if?) you do decide to upgrade to iOS 6.

Marilyn

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there... Can i jailbreak first before restoring from backup? Coz i have many jailbroken apps, i think it won't be installed normally if i haven't jalbroken it first right?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello there... Can i jailbreak first before restoring from backup? Coz i have many jailbroken apps, i think it won't be installed normally if i haven't jalbroken it first right?

Hi, I think the restore from backup inside of iTunes will only restore the iTunes apps and not the jailbreak ones from Cydia.
Make a list or a screen shot of your jailbreak apps and tweaks that you currently have. Before installing them on the 6.0+ jailbreak make sure they work by going through the list in the hacking section. Some of the tweaks are still being updated and re not quite ready.

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for reference, No Update is no longer required for evasi0n based jailbreaks. They have included protection in the jailbreak to prevent the OTA update feature being used ;)

Thank you f4780y for mentioning this. I just updated and rejailbroke my ipad last night. Looked at the list of jailbreak apps here on the forum and saw that no update was not compatible with iOS 6 and I got a little nervous. Wasnt sure what to do about it but now I know. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone updated and jb on ios 6.1.2? does battery life improve? or its only for iphone still?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has stated that a jail broken iPad may lose the warranty.

Realistically, they have to take that stance -- they have no control over jailbreaking, and it's possible that some bad code could mess up things.

However, also being realistic, how many people have sent iPads back on warranty? There aren't many things which can go wrong, the hardware quality is high and their software is pretty tight. About all that's left to knock one out would be user abuse, such as breaking the display or dropping it in the dishwater.

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks! Starting to update and jb now... btw do you have a link regarding cydia sources? thanks again =D

I don't really know what you mean about needing a "link regarding Cydia sources." Generally, most of the time we recommend people stick with these default repositories (they load when Cydia is installed during the jailbreak process):

BigBoss
Cydia/Telesphoreo
Dev Team
Mod Myi
ZoTTD & MacCity

That's where you're going to find the most up-to-date tweaks and such. With rare exceptions, these five are really all you need.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't really know what you mean about needing a "link regarding Cydia sources." Generally, most of the time we recommend people stick with these default repositories (they load when Cydia is installed during the jailbreak process):

BigBoss
Cydia/Telesphoreo
Dev Team
Mod Myi
ZoTTD & MacCity

That's where you're going to find the most up-to-date tweaks and such. With rare exceptions, these five are really all you need.

Marilyn

ThemeIt as well if you want a sick sick SICK ​theme on your device that's not available in Cydia :p

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True, true. Forgot about Themeit (at this repo: http://themeitapp.com/repo/). Great place to buy the newest and bestest themes. In fact, sometimes, new themes are released in Themeit before Cydia gets them (if it gets them at all). Great source if you like buying themes.

And I even have it on my iPhone...! :D

Marilyn

bifftaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone here ever ran into this before ??? Having some trouble with evasi0n 1.5.2, Its giving me a error while its [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Retrieving Information.", Just after connecting to the device. Im trying to jailbreak my IPad 3 6.1.2 wifi, No pass code & no Itunes password active. At [/FONT]jailbreakqa, There's a few people there today also having the exact same problem. Would anyone here recommend going back & using 1.5.1 just to jailbreak ? Or is there a fix ?

Thanks for any help !!!

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone here ever ran into this before ??? Having some trouble with evasi0n 1.5.2, Its giving me a error while its "Retrieving Information.", Just after connecting to the device. Im trying to jailbreak my IPad 3 6.1.2 wifi, No pass code & no Itunes password active. At jailbreakqa, There's a few people there today also having the exact same problem. Would anyone here recommend going back & using 1.5.1 just to jailbreak ? Or is there a fix ?

Thanks for any help !!!

I didn't have any trouble. What does the error say? Did you try plugging into a different USB port? Perhaps try one on the back of the computer that is directly attached to the motherboard.

bifftaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't have any trouble. What does the error say? Did you try plugging into a different USB port? Perhaps try one on the back of the computer that is directly attached to the motherboard.

Its been fixed now in evasi0n 1.5.3. There was a bug in evasi0n 1.5.2 windows version. All fixed now.

Tech Challenged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A belated Thank You for the excellent instructions on jailbreaking the ipad with firmware 6.1.2. I did the jailbreak on March 19 at 10:00 AM and it could not have been any easier.

Regards, a grateful forum member.

Most reactions