What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off siri

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have newest iPad with iOS 11. I would like to turn off Siri BUT my problem is I do like to dictate emails sometimes.
Does Siri have to be on in order to dictate emails.
Thanks

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, you can dictate with Siri turned off. Under Settings/General/Restrictions, enable Siri & Dictation. Then, under Settings/Siri & Search, disable the four toggle switches and disable Siri in each app listed. The first time you dictate, you'll be asked to enable Dictation. Your speech still gets sent to Apple for processing, of course.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can enable dictation directly under Settings > General > Keyboard. As far as I know, Siri does not have to be enabled for this, thought it will still send your voice to Apple’s servers for processing.

When you enable dictation it should ask you if you want to download the local dictionary for your language (if I remember correctly) which will allow offline dictation. Only a few languages are avaialable offline, and it may depend on your iPad model.

Most reactions