What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn Your Jailbroken iPad into a Giant iPhone with Cydia App

pcmarcel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would someone jailbreak and pay for a feature that's already available for free and without jailbreaking?

Because we pay extra for a data plan.
Why pay for a dataplan while I can use WiFi.
But when in the car it is handy to have a possibility to make a call or send a text message.
All I have to do for that is install the app and buy a small amount prepaid sim.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would someone jailbreak and pay for a feature that's already available for free and without jailbreaking?

Because we pay extra for a data plan.
Why pay for a dataplan while I can use WiFi.
But when in the car it is handy to have a possibility to make a call or send a text message.
All I have to do for that is install the app and buy a small amount prepaid sim.

If you have wi-fi, you can use the free app to make calls. No data plan needed. You can look it up in the Talkatone description in the app store. Techcrunch even wrote about that feature. No jailbreaking needed. No paying 20 bucks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure why I can't edit posts now, but I was going to add:

Don't people have cell phones? Are they really using iPads as substitute for phones?

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay, you are making no sense.

(a) If VOIP is good enough then why do you have a cellular plan for your cell phone and not stick with VOIP on it?

(b) If only cell phone is to be used for calls then why are you suggesting VOIP app for iPad?

(c) If VOIP for iPad DOES makes sense then why celular call isn't?!

iPad calls does not come to substiture phones. However, if you are sitting at the balcony and have the iPad on your lap, then it would be easier to answear from it instead of searching for the phone or requiring to take it with you.

Phones will still be used when iPad is too big for some activities (such as jogging or going out etc. ). But if we are already taking the iPad with us then why cary a phone as well. no need for it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay, you are making no sense.

(a) If VOIP is good enough then why do you have a cellular plan for your cell phone and not stick with VOIP on it?

(b) If only cell phone is to be used for calls then why are you suggesting VOIP app for iPad?

(c) If VOIP for iPad DOES makes sense then why celular call isn't?!

iPad calls does not come to substiture phones. However, if you are sitting at the balcony and have the iPad on your lap, then it would be easier to answear from it instead of searching for the phone or requiring to take it with you.

Phones will still be used when iPad is too big for some activities (such as jogging or going out etc. ). But if we are already taking the iPad with us then why cary a phone as well. no need for it.

I don't call from iPad, but I know there's a free app that works because a co-worker uses it. If suggesting it so people can save some money instead of spending 20 bucks doesn't make sense to you, OK.

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes no sense because one would be far more limitted depending on wifi because you can only call ppl who has VOIP app, and/or you can only call when you have wifi at reach.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes no sense because one would be far more limitted depending on wifi because you can only call ppl who has VOIP app, and/or you can only call when you have wifi at reach.

That free app lets you make calls via wi-fi or 3G.

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
right. however, it requires either both sides to have a VOIP app OR, google voice account which is not supported all over the world. so, a real celular calls is simply more flexible.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
right. however, it requires either both sides to have a VOIP app OR, google voice account which is not supported all over the world. so, a real celular calls is simply more flexible.

Sure, and it's good for people to know there's free stuff so they can take advantage if they can and like, especially if doesn't come with the possible complications of jailbreaking.

justfrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe some of you don't know this but there's a free phone app called Whistle that works w/ o jailbreaking. Works with iPads and 4 g Touches.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Not sure why I can't edit posts now, but I was going to add:

Don't people have cell phones? Are they really using iPads as substitute for phones?

I wouldn't want to do. iPad is too big to be a phone. Maybe in an emergency if the cell phone was not available.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

donard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple don't put full features of iPhone in iPad. If you ask WHY the answer is obvious.. iPad is not a phone. iPad have a sim slot but you can't make call using its mobile number or even sending an sms. Same as samsung tablet 10.1. May the antenna of tablets is different from the phone. You need to buy a phone.

Most reactions