What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn ipad into a cell phone

Cathie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistlephone worked so so for me. It was garbled at times but crystal clear at other times. Good for emergency calls I guess. Thanks for the info!

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Cathie my hope is that the iPad will be leveraged to better take advantage is VoIP and SIP binding! I have big hopes for OS 4.0 in this area. But the concept is proven, now on to better application!

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did everyone try to turn their macbooks into phones as well? If you need to make portable voice calls they invented something that caught on in the late 80's for that. They named it the cell phone.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did everyone try to turn their macbooks into phones as well? If you need to make portable voice calls they invented something that caught on in the late 80's for that. They named it the cell phone.

I agree with Sonny on this one - while it's fun to 'make it work' I don't see any real practical applications in turning your iPad into a phone. Personally I thought there was more of a use case with desktops - but the quality was still never as good as a regular phone.

Brodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see a reason for making calls on my iPad.

DSC00554.jpg

I am working on mounting it between the handlebars on my LD sport touring bike. So far I have Navigon directing me turn by turn (voice prompt through my helmet speakers), while listening to my music library. If a skype call comes in I want to be able to say answer, or busy. I already have 2 way communication to my iPad via my on board Starcom system. Phone calls would be the next step.

This iPad could be a gamin killer if it's set up right!
:)

Brodie

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also can see a reason for use my ipad as a phone, so no need i carry my cellPhone when i am in week-end border to the beach, but in case if i have to do a call the iPad can do it … of course it’s not the needing of many people can but can be a needing

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistle an interesting app and its free

i also can see a reason for use my ipad as a phone, so no need i carry my cellPhone when i am in week-end border to the beach, but in case if i have to do a call the iPad can do it … of course it’s not the needing of many people can but can be a needing

Whistle is a free app, so there should be no problem in grabbing it and playing with it. IMHO it is a keeper as a backup means of making a phone call for free over the 3G network using the iPad.

I don't mind the Whistle ads for this use.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad App Review; Whistle Phone ; Call Anyone Free On iPad!

iPad App Review;

Whistle Phone ; Call Anyone Free On iPad!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0UOygEgUfg"]YouTube - iPad App Review; Whistle Phone ; Call Anyone Free On iPad![/ame]

soundlogic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see a reason for making calls on my iPad.

DSC00554.jpg

I am working on mounting it between the handlebars on my LD sport touring bike. So far I have Navigon directing me turn by turn (voice prompt through my helmet speakers), while listening to my music library. If a skype call comes in I want to be able to say answer, or busy. I already have 2 way communication to my iPad via my on board Starcom system. Phone calls would be the next step.

This iPad could be a gamin killer if it's set up right!
:)

Brodie
That is a killer set-up!

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set Whisle Phone up today and I have now found the answer to a question I wasn't asking....;)

OP
robb25j

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the app is pretty handy for example im a truck driver i have a iphone 3g unlocked on tmobile in some cases my phone dosent have signal (sucky tmobile) when ever that occurs i just dial out from my ipad atleast to let my fiance are family know im ok etc etc

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org

I agree with Sonny on this one - while it's fun to 'make it work' I don't see any real practical applications in turning your iPad into a phone. Personally I thought there was more of a use case with desktops - but the quality was still never as good as a regular phone.

David, I think the usefulness" of VoIP on the iPad will depend on the OS's ability to give it the features that would make it productive.

If you can wear bluetooth headphones and issue commands to the app or dial out from the app when a number is recognized (like with the iphone) it could be quite nice. I could also see a nice/fast switchboard like app controlling settings on a home asterisk PBX.

Moving between several devices can be annoying and can slow you down. Maybe it's not for you, no worries there, but I'm excited about the potential!

Regards,

Most reactions

Latest posts