What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricking out your iPad 2

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I patiently :( wait for my iPad 2 to arrive, I've been researching the toys & tools I need to complete the package. Here's my list - what will you be getting:

Accessories
  • Gray smartcover - couldn't resist and Zagg says it works with their new Zaggmate
  • Zaggmate with keyboard - this will allow me to take notes in meetings sans laptop
  • Gelaskins custom skin - made my own because their artwork wouldn't fly in my office
  • Helostrap - for all important one-handed operation without dropping
  • Verizon 4G mifi - when it comes out. Probably off contract so I can ditch it if the iPhone 5 has 4G tethering.
  • InvisibleShield for Zaggmate - gotta protect that aluminum from unsightly scratches.
  • VGA adapter - will try mirroring with projector for presentations. Anyone know of a pointer app for keynote?
  • Griffin Stylus - Only one my corporate account had available, but did get good reviews
  • Homemade AC vent holder - to use Helostrap in the car. This will be my interesting project for the summer.
  • Undecided stand - Either I'll make one out of parts that allow me to use the Apple IR remote to control iTunes via iPad and wifi or I'll buy something that has a remote of it's own and costs an arm and a leg.
Software
  • Mobilenoter - Syncs with OneNote for meeting notes
  • New Browser - something that works with Flash
  • Remote Desktop app
  • Driving Game - after I compare their optimizations for iPad2 GPU
  • PocketInformant - needs Exchange OTA access, but it's the best out there
  • Bible app - lots to choose from - suggestions?
  • QuickOffice
  • Numerous other seemingly productive apps that will probably do more to waste my time than save it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I patiently :( wait for my iPad 2 to arrive, I've been researching the toys & tools I need to complete the package. Here's my list - what will you be getting:

Accessories
  • Gray smartcover - couldn't resist and Zagg says it works with their new Zaggmate
  • Zaggmate with keyboard - this will allow me to take notes in meetings sans laptop
  • Gelaskins custom skin - made my own because their artwork wouldn't fly in my office
  • Helostrap - for all important one-handed operation without dropping
  • Verizon 4G mifi - when it comes out. Probably off contract so I can ditch it if the iPhone 5 has 4G tethering.
  • InvisibleShield for Zaggmate - gotta protect that aluminum from unsightly scratches.
  • VGA adapter - will try mirroring with projector for presentations. Anyone know of a pointer app for keynote?
  • Griffin Stylus - Only one my corporate account had available, but did get good reviews
  • Homemade AC vent holder - to use Helostrap in the car. This will be my interesting project for the summer.
  • Undecided stand - Either I'll make one out of parts that allow me to use the Apple IR remote to control iTunes via iPad and wifi or I'll buy something that has a remote of it's own and costs an arm and a leg.
Software
  • Remote Desktop app
  • QuickOffice
  • Numerous other seemingly productive apps that will probably do more to waste my time than save it.

This is a great list - thanks for sharing it with us. I use Pocket Informant and totally agree it's the best out there. I was interested, too, in some of your DIY projects for the hardware - I hope you'll share some of those with us - maybe post some pictures?

I have PCalc too as my scientific calculator and TuneIn for entertainment 'on the move'.

Tim
Scotland

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW - did you know that OneNote has released a version for the iPhone now? I don't know if they'll be doing iPad next or not (I know someone I can ask), but you could use the iPhone version on your iPad if you wanted. It's free right now, and looks like it has better reviews than MobileNoter. Just thought I'd mention that.

Now I'm off to check out the other apps you list - thanks for the info!

OP
R

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW - did you know that OneNote has released a version for the iPhone now? I don't know if they'll be doing iPad next or not (I know someone I can ask), but you could use the iPhone version on your iPad if you wanted. It's free right now, and looks like it has better reviews than MobileNoter. Just thought I'd mention that.

Now I'm off to check out the other apps you list - thanks for the info!

I did see that. MS just offered it. The Mobilenoter website has a comparison the features and MS looks like a version1 product. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by their OneNote app on Windows 7 Phone. It goes to show that despite having all the code at their disposable, it still takes a significant investment to build a quality app.

I'll watch the development of both, but as now Mobilenoter wins. Syncing is key for me so whoever wins that wins me over.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you posted. Definitely doing the same thing. Will share later. I find that I'm treating the arrival of my iPad 2 like the birth of a child! I'm buying her clothes and food and toys. Got her a strap to pin to me.

Last edited:

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did see that. MS just offered it. The Mobilenoter website has a comparison the features and MS looks like a version1 product. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by their OneNote app on Windows 7 Phone. It goes to show that despite having all the code at their disposable, it still takes a significant investment to build a quality app.

I'll watch the development of both, but as now Mobilenoter wins. Syncing is key for me so whoever wins that wins me over.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed by the version for W7 phone either. I know for a fact that they were developed by two entirely different groups and have been told that the iPhone version is much better, and I think one update has already been released. I'm trying to find out if they'll be doing an iPad version as well.

OP
R

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are the vent holders really that savvy? I'm glad they'll be cooling the iPad or whatever but will they really be that sturdy? Could someone do a review?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clothes for my baby:

I pre-ordered a grovemade case
Grovemade.com
Found a macally bookstand 2 on eBay for cheap as a temp case.
Macally.com
Bought a cute little decal so she can have some underwear on when she takes her coat (eBay decal cut outs for iPad $5)
Also, I'm looking at getting a pretty sticker decal off eBay (search sticker deal iPad 2 $12)
Swiss army mini pack pack (eBay $25)

Input devices:

Gotta refurb apple keyboard ($50)
Bestbuy.com
Kuel h10 stylus (eBay $13)

Things I want:

Airstash wifi SD drive
Airstash.com
Or
Hyperdrive
Hypershop.com
Blue treegloo
Epillow

More TBA

Last edited:

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice list you got there. As for driving game I have real racer 2 and love its made for the ipas 2 it has on line races up to 16 cars. I also i got the av hdmi cable so I can use my 52 HDTV for racing lol !!!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Software

Software
  • Remote Desktop app
  • QuickOffice
Forgot to list software.

As far as bible, I like youversion and orchard tree. You has more translations, but orchardtree seems to be better as far as functionality: highliting. Youversion is getting better though.

I am looking for an office suite
note taker hd
tap radiation
HD books because I work with kids
my fav game: High School Hero (not for ipad yet though. gotta use iPh vs)
AirVideo
Uno
Jenga

But, I'll mostly be using NT HD and the office. I'm a writer. What's your profession?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'm a professional cgi illustrator, so i'm still on the lookout for the best interactive app i can find to demo my work on to clients. any ideas?

so far, i've pre-ordered my ipad2, hdmi cable and smart cover. dont know if i'll want that zagg keyboard/case yet, or if i'll need a dock. or anything else. oh yeah, stil considering which stylus to buy.

here's what's left -

Apps to aide in work

penultimate
daily notes + todo
procreate
sketchbook pro
paperdesk

General apps

videopix
steriolizer
bbc iplayer
imovie
garage band
amplitude guitar fx (with irig)

Couple of games

real racing 2
back to the future
dead space
x planes
(and all the 11 other pages of games already in my itunes library)

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kewl dude!

When I get my Kuel h10 I'll review for you it's small and has a lanyard plus cap to attach to iPad. From what I hear though, stylus r us is the way to go.

I'm a writer and I love to write by hand. I'm hoping to find just the write handwriting rec app that will ease the tedious nature of writing and transcribing via typing. Write pad seems to be the way to go I hope.

As far as your display apps, I will read up and get back to you.

Also, I work with kids so I'm looking for free to cheap hd books.

Most reactions

Latest posts