What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your new iPad.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you bought or received an iPad or iPad mini for Christmas, and joined the forum to find out what you can do with it. In this post, I hope to be able to run you through a few points that will enable you to hit the ground running.

First thing to do is go to Settings/iTunes and App Stores and input your AppleID. While you are there, you can decide whether to allow Automatic Downloads. If you have multiple iDevices this will save you having to download manually to all of them. Turn on the features you require.

FaceTime/iMessage.

You will want these features set up straight away. First thing to note is that you need an iDevice at both ends of the conversation. These are Apple apps, and you won't be able to send an iMessage to Granny's Samsung.

Here's how to set them up.

iMessage. Go to Settings/Messages and turn iMessage on. Then enter your email address into the Send & Receive field. If you turn on Show Subject Field, remember not to type your message into the subject field. If you do, it won't send.

FaceTime. Go to Settings/FaceTime. Turn FaceTime on. Your AppleID needs to appear in the appropriate field, and your email address needs to appear under "You can be reached by FaceTime at:"

If these entries are not made, FaceTime will not work.

Picture frame. One of the most annoying things that appeared in iOS was the button on the lock screen for cycling through your photographs. I seem to remember this "feature" appeared under iOS 5. If you don't like it, you can turn it off. You need to set a password first.

Go to Settings/General/Passcode Lock. Turn on Passcode, and set your code. DO NOT FORGET IT. If you do, the only way out is to restore your iPad. If you want a more complex Passcode than the standard 4 digits, you can turn Simple Passcode off. This will allow an alphanumeric Passcode of any length.

When you go to your lock screen, you will find a button with a flower symbol. Pressing it will cycle through all of your photographs. You may think this is a bad idea, so to turn it off, go to Settings/General/Passcode Lock and slide Picture Frame to OFF.

The next thing you may wish to change is the default behavior of Ad Tracking. By default, the iPad allows this. Go to Settings/General/About/Advertising. Turn it ON.

Twitter/Facebook. If you use either of these services, they are integrated into iOS. Go to Settings/Twitter and Settings/Facebook and sign in. You can then send tweets and Facebook status updates from your notifications drop down. Drag down with one finger to reveal your notifications.

Essential downloads.

Some free apps are not included. Your first visit to the App Store should snag the following free apps:

iBooks. This is your reader for eBooks and PDFs.
Remote. This app allows you to use your iPad to control iTunes on you PC/Mac. You can select songs, build a playlist and control the playback volume.
Find My iPad. With this app you can locate your other iDevices, play sounds and remote erase content.
YouTube. With iOS 6, YouTube was no longer integrated into iOS. You can download the free YouTube app, or several other YouTube clients.
Google. There are several Google apps available, including Google Earth, Google Maps, Translate. Get them all. They are worthy of your time.

That's about all I can think of right now. If I've missed anything, feel free to add it.

Most reactions