What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a question I saw someone ask on another forum. No one had yet given an answer but I thought it was an interesting question so I will pose it here.

If you travel to, let's say the US, would it be possible to purchase a micro sim card for a carrier there and use it in the iPad so as not to incur roaming charges for your service in Canada or visa versa ?

Will it depend on the type of service the US has since in Canada the iPad data plan is monthly, no contract.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Here is a question I saw someone ask on another forum. No one had yet given an answer but I thought it was an interesting question so I will pose it here.

If you travel to, let's say the US, would it be possible to purchase a micro sim card for a carrier there and use it in the iPad so as not to incur roaming charges for your service in Canada or visa versa ?

Will it depend on the type of service the US has since in Canada the iPad data plan is monthly, no contract.

At first you couldnt do this because no one had the micro simcards(none of their phones use them). But now you can.

Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 2gb of data. Its prepaid so there are no contracts. The little AT&T reseller huts in the mall most likely wont have the micro simcards, you need to find the nearest actual AT&T store.

OR even better thing to do would be to order the simcard online before your trip so you dont have to wait any of your time looking for an AT&T on your trip.
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...0038&q_sku=sku4530230&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Last edited:
OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

At first you couldnt do this because no one had the micro simcards(none of their phones use them). But now you can.

Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 5gb of data. Its prepaid so there are no contracts. The little AT&T reseller huts in the mall most likely wont have the micro simcards, you need to find the nearest actual AT&T store.

OR even better thing to do would be to order the simcard online before your trip so you dont have to wait any of your time looking for an AT&T on your trip.
Replacement Micro-SIM for Apple iPad (TM) - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T=
Thanks for your response. It is what I suspected.

One more question, to do the activation would you need the computer with the original Itunes or just any computer with iTunes?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 5gb of data. Its prepaid so there are no contracts. The little AT&T reseller huts in the mall most likely wont have the micro simcards, you need to find the nearest actual AT&T store.

Replacement Micro-SIM for Apple iPad (TM) - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T=
Thanks for your response. It is what I suspected.

One more question, to do the activation would you need the computer with the original Itunes or just any computer with iTunes?

No computer needed.

insert the simcard, then go to settings and look for the Cellular Data section. This will then bring up AT&T's data plans and allow you to sign up and pay via credit card.
ipad-ala-carte-data-plan.jpg

what ever plan you choose is set to auto renew every 30 days, Once your done with your trip, just go back to the Cellular Data section and select to cancle the data plan.

Last edited:

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 5gb of data.

No longer. It's now 250 MB for $15 and 2 GB for $25.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 5gb of data.

No longer. It's now 250 MB for $15 and 2 GB for $25.
yeah, that was a typo, I fixed it.
the plans used to be 250MB for $15 and $30 for unlimited. now its
250MB for $15 and 2GB for $25

Kace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As much as I wished it worked like this guys, it unfortunately doesn't. At least for me it doesn't.

When you insert the AT&T sim card into the iPad and go to purchase you data package, it requires that you enter your billing address for your credit card. The problem is that it requires a zip code, in Canada we use postal codes that have both letters and numbers. With an AT&T sim card, the iPad won't let you enter any letters into the zip code field.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution to this issue? I just got off the phone with AT&T and they recommended buying a prepaid credit card gift card thing to purchase the 3G data.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As much as I wished it worked like this guys, it unfortunately doesn't. At least for me it doesn't.

When you insert the AT&T sim card into the iPad and go to purchase you data package, it requires that you enter your billing address for your credit card. The problem is that it requires a zip code, in Canada we use postal codes that have both letters and numbers. With an AT&T sim card, the iPad won't let you enter any letters into the zip code field.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution to this issue? I just got off the phone with AT&T and they recommended buying a prepaid credit card gift card thing to purchase the 3G data.

Interesting.

I felt it might not have been that easy.

Would it be possible to use a US address as your billing but still use a credit card that is registered in Canada?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

You can try a prepaid credit card like one of those visa giftcards and put in any address info you like.

Kace

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can try a prepaid credit card like one of those visa giftcards and put in any address info you like.

That's what I was wondering. I have never purchased a prepaid credit card before, do they require your address when you purchase it?

I stopped into an AT&T store today and spoke to them there. They told me I can't purchase data without an US address. I asked them why they don't want my money.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No you dont give any info when purchasing a visa giftcard, just pay for it. They sell them at all the local stores.

I would not get the american express giftard and stick with a visa one.

Kace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you dont give any info when purchasing a visa giftcard, just pay for it. They sell them at all the local stores.

I would not get the american express giftard and stick with a visa one.

Ok, so I finally managed to activate 3G with AT&T. You are correct, a Visa gift card worked. I picked one up at Walmart tonight, activated on the walmartgift.com site and entered a US address (any address would work, hotel, dentist office, zoo).

Just make sure you don't pick up an actual Visa card as you'll then require a social security number and you won't be able to use it.

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to the States in a few weeks and called Apple and they assured me I could hook into AT&T with a Canadian address and credit card. Well so much for that. While in Canada you can buy I believe it's Master Card it's called Vanilla, this one can be activated online in Canada with a U.S. address. People are using this one to access the American ITunes store.

Most reactions

Latest posts