What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with an Ipad 3 wifi & cellular

thommo1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am traveling to South America. Mainly in Chile.
I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Does a ipad work with a USB wireless dongle? Or
Is it best to buy a sim over there for wifi & data?

Thanks for your help...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am traveling to South America. Mainly in Chile.
I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Does a ipad work with a USB wireless dongle? Or
Is it best to buy a sim over there for wifi & data?

Thanks for your help...

It is best to buy a SIM card. The iPad does not (can not) use a USB dongle.

Marilyn

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
As Marilyn said, dongle is a NoGo.
Anyway, for the dongle you would need a SIM as well... Prepaid cards are available a lot over there..
Anyway, you should be aware that (except in the Region Metropolitana and outside major cities) reception is different for each carrier - I made good experience with EntelPCS. Also be advised that prepaid packets are charged by hour/ day/ 7day period and do have a restriction on data usage (even if the 7 days are not over, but the data usage exceeds the limit it will have to be re-charged)!
Restaurants, Bars and Cafe's however do offer free WiFi, you just have to ask for the password - that will be in any way the cheapest possibility to be connected.

BTW, don't forget the plug-adapter (2 round pin, Euro-style)

Personal question - where are you going to? (I have been living there for some years, just returned for a visit during vacations after 5 years back in Europe...)

OP
T

thommo1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heading to chile for 6 weeks. Just up & down the coast. We have relatives there.

Thanks for the heads up

Most reactions

Latest posts