What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring Pics and Video

David Goodier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.dg-weddings.com
Hi guys, new here and I think you've answered my query but just to confirm...

I'm a photographer and I want several photo folders for full Weddings, example portfolio images and album designs & layouts (all of which I intend to show large on a tv too - got the cable, not tried it yet)

Does Photo Transfer answer my needs?

Cheers

Dave

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats why i like this forum, has the best members with good expertise. I didnt know about the ability to save to the local iPad drive. So once thats done are the images viewable in the photo albums?

Thx - chris

Bmac228 - there is really no easy solution for this. Due to apple's proprietary approach to development everything must be done via iTunes. There some useless exceptions to this rule such as Airshare, however using airshare doesnt allow the images to be viewed in the photo library, onlynfrom the airshare app. This is the only exception i am aware of that provides an alternative to iTunes.

Dropbox, iDisk, google docs are all cloud applications which provide access to those cloud files on their servers via the app you download. So, you never have a local copy of the file on your mobile device. In answer to your question, you cannot save a local copy of the images via those apps such as dropbox.

You have stumbled onto the same frustration that i experience. iTunes is a royal pain to work with. For apple to be so successful in selling mobile devices they have certainly not provided a simple user interface to accomplish such mundane tasks as moving and copying files.

Not entirely correct. I use MobileMe and dropbox. Both allow me to easily sync photos and videos into the cloud. When viewing photos in the cloud, I can touch and hold for a second, and a save/copy image prompt pops up. Tapping on save, puts an exact copy of that image into my iPad or iPhone's local drive. you can sync and transfer in both directions, to and from iOS devices and/or computers. To transfer in the other direction, simply tap the share button, and tap 'send to MobileMe.' Easy as pie.

MobileMe's sync is also built into OSX applications, like iPhoto, making it easy to sync and transfer entire photo albums at once. I prefer syncing and storing via the cloud vs. physically syncing through iTunes myself. Dropbox and MobileMe each have their unique advantages. One is basically free, and the other is easier to use, and works better within Apple's ecosystem. I use and recommend both.

What cloud are you guys using? cloudreaders? sorry new to the cloud thing

OP
B

Bmac228

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here and I think you've answered my query but just to confirm...

I'm a photographer and I want several photo folders for full Weddings, example portfolio images and album designs & layouts (all of which I intend to show large on a tv too - got the cable, not tried it yet)

Does Photo Transfer answer my needs?

Cheers

Dave
David, do you mean moving pics off your hard drive over to your iPad? If so, I'm not sure the Photo Transfer App will move them to different folders on your iPad (at least from my limited experience w/ the app so far) however your best option (since moving them from your pc to your iPad) to me would be just to set those folders up to sync to your device through iTunes- and this way they will save to whatever folder names you have them set to on your pc. Hope I understood you correctly, if not feel free to ignore this reply LOL :)

OP
B

Bmac228

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats why i like this forum, has the best members with good expertise. I didnt know about the ability to save to the local iPad drive. So once thats done are the images viewable in the photo albums?

Thx - chris

Not entirely correct. I use MobileMe and dropbox. Both allow me to easily sync photos and videos into the cloud. When viewing photos in the cloud, I can touch and hold for a second, and a save/copy image prompt pops up. Tapping on save, puts an exact copy of that image into my iPad or iPhone's local drive. you can sync and transfer in both directions, to and from iOS devices and/or computers. To transfer in the other direction, simply tap the share button, and tap 'send to MobileMe.' Easy as pie.

MobileMe's sync is also built into OSX applications, like iPhoto, making it easy to sync and transfer entire photo albums at once. I prefer syncing and storing via the cloud vs. physically syncing through iTunes myself. Dropbox and MobileMe each have their unique advantages. One is basically free, and the other is easier to use, and works better within Apple's ecosystem. I use and recommend both.

What cloud are you guys using? cloudreaders? sorry new to the cloud thing
iDisk, Dropbox, etc refer to web based storage, i.e. hard drive in the sky

Most reactions