What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfering photos from my memory card

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all ive managed to get my photos to from a memory card to the ipad , i cannot view them in the standard apple folder photo viewer, where the photos go after taken with the ipad.
I have ifile installed and found the photos in there, i also found the actual original photo album for where the photos go when taken by ipad, i tried to copy the pictures into the standard folder and they are there i can view them through ifile but still they do not show up in the apple photo view folder , the standard one where the the photos go when taken by ipad.

Can anyone help me out ? Can or should i be able to see them in the standard photo viewer folder?

Last edited:
OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also this means when viewing the pics from ifile i cannot email them or anything , if i can only view from ifile whats the best app to open the photos ?

Please help guys if anyone knows how to get me on the right track, cheers

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moving files into the right folders is rarely how stuff works on the iPad. The photo app also uses a database and if the details of the pics aren't in there (and they won't be if you manually put files onto the file system) then they won't appear in the app...

Your best bet is to use the features of the camera connection kit to import photos into the photos app (for this to work the files will need to be on the external storage in the DCIM structure so that it looks like a digital camera to the iPad). Alternatively, you can use iTunes to sync the photos (which is the standard way).

Trying to fudge it and manage them manually using iFile etc., is in my opinion, just too much work. But others may feel differently and be able to give you some different advice! :D

Last edited:
OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So you reckon if i leave my mem card in the camera and plug camera into camera ipad kit via usb i can then import the photos to ipad, i couldnt import with mem card in camera kit, ill try n give it a go though mate, tjanks for your time.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you reckon if i leave my mem card in the camera and plug camera into camera ipad kit via usb i can then import the photos to ipad, i couldnt import with mem card in camera kit, ill try n give it a go though mate, tjanks for your time.

Sometimes the memory card (supposing it's SDHD OR SDHC) is not compatible. SDXC is not supported in the current CCK (Camera Connection Kit) via USB. Or it might need a reboot and then plug it in with the memory card in the cck.

DenAtTheDBM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind, when you connect your camera and turn it on, a message might pop up saying the device is not supported.

That might not be true!

That happened to me. Turns out there's an item in my camera's built-in configuration menu that's called "connection:" and it was set to "pc connection" - the other setting was "print/PTP". Apple's instructions said that the cck was compatible with PTP (picture transfer protocol) devices, so I changed it to the "print/PTP" setting. When I connected it and turned it on, iPad detected the camera but it said there were no photos to import. I knew there were photos on the camera so I rebooted the iPad and tried again and finally, it worked.

So, if things seem to not be working at first, it may turn out to just be some little setting that needs to be changed. My camera btw, is a Canon Digital Rebel XT (just in case the OP or any else has the same camera and is having similar troubles).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Your best be is to use the features of the camera connection kit to import photos into the photos app (for this to work the files will need to be on the external storage in the DCIM structure so that it looks like a digital camera to the iPad). Alternatively, you can use iTunes to sync the photos (which is the standard way)......

I would have to agree w/ the above having tried different memory cards - the only method that was successful for me was to place the images onto the camera's SD card w/i a subfolder of the DCIM folder (the format on the SD card for my Panasonic camera) and then rename the images to follow that used by the camera; finally the iPad did recognize and import the pics - see the screen capture below from my laptop using Explorer to show the SD's folder & file format (listed as E) - if you (or others) find an easier way then please let us know! :)

SDCardDigCamera.JPG

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok so ive managed to get pics and vids to my ipad i have only just realised i can create albums for pics n vids etcbut can i rename the files to what i like, is this possible ? With a cydia app maybe ?

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All good in the hood guys spot on, can i ask you 1 more question on this please...........

Ive made albums where ive put my photographs n vids in but they are also still in my main photos app can i delete them from there or will this delete them from the folders aswell ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All good in the hood guys spot on, can i ask you 1 more question on this please...........

Ive made albums where ive put my photographs n vids in but they are also still in my main photos app can i delete them from there or will this delete them from the folders aswell ?

If you've made those albums within the Photo app, then no, you cannot delete the photos from your main folder/Photo app. That's because you actually only make a link to those albums when you create them. The photos don't get duplicated. So, deleting them would break the link and the photo would be gone everywhere.

Marilyn

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jeez man ive forgot or just got lucky when i done this back along when i posted it, got some lovely professional pics taken with my kids last night and cannot get them ipad can anyone help ? The pictures on the cd i was given have no file extension after there name and when i go to properties of a photo on the laptop they are ticked archive, read only plus the middle selection is unticked would this have anything to do with it ? I have tried usb stick and mem card through my camera conne tion kit it just keeps saying no images on it but i know they are there cos i can see them on the laptop, ive tried rebooting ipad and still the same please help, sooooo frustrating :-(

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jockmcd - sorry for your problem - not sure 'how much' help I can give initially w/o knowing what type of laptop you own, i.e. PC or Apple? I do most of my photo work on a Dell PC running VISTA, so could advise from that direction. My first question is whether you can save the images that open on your laptop in a different format, e.g. JPEG? If so, can you then store them in a folder on your laptop? Please provide the information asked and further advise can be given - good luck! :)

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a dell laptop and can change file extension and save them on the laptop no problems, i have 70 images to do.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a dell laptop and can change file extension and save them on the laptop no problems, i have 70 images to do.

Well, a LOT of images to get onto the iPad - not sure of their pixel dimensions nor their size (KB vs. MB)? Do you need to crop and re-size the images? If so, I'm assuming that you have photo imaging software for that purpose; if not (or if you want a 'free' easy solution), I would suggest Irfanview - easy to use and a program that has been on my PCs for years.

Now once your desired photos are 'manipulated' and in the folder on your laptop, have you transferred images before to the iPad? Of course, you can do a sync or use a variety of cloud/Wi-Fi options (e.g. iCloud, Dropbox, or others); I've also used PhotoSync for this purpose (and of course, other apps exist) - for you the issue may be whether you can manipulate & transfer these images w/ a 'bulk' feature to help in handling the number you want on the iPad.

But good luck and let us know your solution(s) - may help others - Dave :)

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive got the camera comnectin kit just dunno how to transfer just says no image but i know they are there wht do i need to di for them to be recognised on ipad camera kit ?

Most reactions