What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer non-Apple purchased music from computer itunes lirary to a new ipad air?

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have music that I loaded from my personal CDs to a first generation iPad.
They are also on my PC in the itunes library. The computer is Running Windows Vista Home Premium.
I want to put the music on my new iPad Air.

I attached my iPad Air to the computer and tried to transfer all the music.
I got a messaage that said I can only transfer music purchased from Apple.

How can I add these non-Apple purchased music to a new ipad air?

Thank you, allen

OP
A

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked great !! Many thanks!

I assume I can back up the folder onto a USB drive in case the computer dies?
Allen

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Worked great !! Many thanks!

I assume I can back up the folder onto a USB drive in case the computer dies?

Hi Allen - glad that Johanna's link worked for you; for myself, I usually use the 'manual' method for transferring my music to my iPod & iPad, for CD rips: 1) Add the music to my iTunes library; 2) Fix the album art & metadata, as needed; 3) Setup 'playlists' which may include just one album or a combination; and 4) Then 'drag & drop' onto my USB plugged in iDevice (whether iPod or iPad) - works for me. :)

Now concerning your second question, you should be backing up your PC regularly - now you can certainly just copy your 'Docs, Pics, & Music' to a USB drive but there are many options - what are you doing currently?

For myself now in retirement, I switched to Apple Macs last spring (i.e. MBPro for myself & iMac for my wife) - my backup strategies for the MBPro are: 1) Time Machine (Apple's proprietary BU app) to an external Seagate 1TB HD; 2) Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac OS to another external HD; and 3) Personal files (docs, pics, & music) to a LaCie external SSD drive; for my wife's iMac: 1) Time Machine to a separate dedicated Seagate HD; 2) Carbon Copy Cloner; and 3) Carbonite online for her personal files. MY POINT for going into this detail for you is that you need redundant backups or you're be sorry. Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Worked great !! Many thanks! I assume I can back up the folder onto a USB drive in case the computer dies? Allen
Glad to help.

I see that Dave already answered your second question. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts