What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trading for 1st gen...

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and I'm considering trading down to a gen 1...the price difference is huge, $350 on apple website! I could use the extra funds for other ventures, that's for sure. Are 1st gen users still loving their iPads? Loosing movie is the biggest con I'm facing at this point. I'm not a big gamer, so slower processor and lessor graphics are a huge factor.

Can you all help me think of other pro/cons to help me with my decision! Thanks guys...

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and I'm considering trading down to a gen 1...the price difference is huge $350 on apple website, I could use the extra funds for other ventures, that's for sure. Are 1st gen users still loving their iPads? Loosing movie is the biggest con I'm facing at this point. I'm not a big gamer, so slower processor and lessor graphics are a huge factor.

Can you all help me think of other pro/cons to help me with my decision! Thanks guys...

Why would you lose iMovie (if that's what you were referring to)? It's available in the App Store and you could simply download it to the iPad1. If you were, in fact, referring to movies that you have on your iPad2, then they could be transferred by sync with iTunes on your PC.

I have an iPad1 and, like you, don't play games so blindingly fast graphics is not an issue for me. Of course, I'd like an iPad2 when the supply 'drought' has finished but, for now, the iPad1 is fine....and no screen bleeding problems!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
Spag_187

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Why would you lose iMovie (if that's what you were referring to)? It's available in the App Store and you could simply download it to the iPad1. If you were, in fact, referring to movies that you have on your iPad2, then they could be transferred by sync with iTunes on your PC.

I have an iPad1 and, like you, don't play games so blindingly fast graphics is not an issue for me. Of course, I'd like an iPad2 when the supply 'drought' has finished but, for now, the iPad1 is fine....and no screen bleeding problems!!

Tim
Scotland

All the literature I've read lead me to believe iMovie is only applicable with the iPad 2, am I wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

All the literature I've read lead me to believe iMovie is only applicable with the iPad 2, am I wrong?

Mia culpa - Tim is wrong - again! I'm demoted to sub-moderator!! Sorry about that - I should think before I post.

Tim

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMovie works fine on my iPad 1.

I just got my iPad 1, and would love to have 2. One for other trade seems fair, but paying you something extra for it??? I rather buy a new one from Apple.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I just got my iPad 1, and would love to have 2. One for other trade seems fair, but paying you something extra for it??? I rather buy a new one from Apple.

imovie only is available to ipad2 in the app store....must be freed from the shackles of iOS to install imovie on ipad1.

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont use app store, so I must have missed it. But indeed it works on iPad one, latest version at that.

To be honest, two core CPU is better for web browsing. Web is sluggish on iPad one.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own both and I would say if you def could use the money go for it, seems like your fine with loosing iMovie, but there is a way to get it on iPad one. I personally like iMovie on the iPhone 4 better, for the fact that it can capture much nicer video Nativly then iPad 2! IMO

Also I personally feel the iPad one was built better! Although iPad 2 wins in sexiness lol! I love my chubby pad! I am never selling it! But I will indeed sell iPad 2 for an iPad 3. Just a thought. Hey you Might be able to sell the 2 for more than you bought it for I believe supply is still tight so you can also make some money and make the chubby pad be even cheaper! :ipad-front: ;) (do it lol)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
gray_mouse said:
I dont use app store, so I must have missed it. But indeed it works on iPad one, latest version at that.

To be honest, two core CPU is better for web browsing. Web is sluggish on iPad one.

Take care about the way this conversation is panning out and remember the forum rules please :)

Sweetie1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have been ok with kepping my first gen ipad but I was running out of space and I had to go to a 32 gig model so I went ahead and upgraded to the ipad 2.

OP
Spag_187

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gray_mouse said:

I'm actually getting $300 cash on top of the trade for my iPad 2. The 1st gen I'm receiving has an extended warranty till march 2012.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case it wasn't clear in this thread please know you can legitimately purchase and install iMovie on the iPad 1... and you don't have to jailbreak to do it. If you already own it from the iPad 2 no reason not to use it. Personally I prefer ReelDirector but iMovie works fine on the iPad 1.

Just google imovie ipad 1 and you will see how... again, no jailbreak needed and uses legitimate tool from Apple to do it.

Michael

OP
Spag_187

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
In case it wasn't clear in this thread please know you can legitimately purchase and install iMovie on the iPad 1... and you don't have to jailbreak to do it. If you already own it from the iPad 2 no reason not to use it. Personally I prefer ReelDirector but iMovie works fine on the iPad 1.

Just google imovie ipad 1 and you will see how... again, no jailbreak needed and uses legitimate tool from Apple to do it.

Michael

Thanks Michael, do you happen to have a link or specific site you recommend to help with the install process?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:

Michael

Thanks Michael, do you happen to have a link or specific site you recommend to help with the install process?

How-To Install iMovie on 1st Gen iPad | How-To | The Mac Observer

That one needs a $5 utility from Apple but I think I read in the comments... in either that or another how-to.. that there is an older tool that works too and is free. So you might want to look around.

Michael

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts