What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TomTom for iPad

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A while ago TomTom said they are going to release an iPad version of their car navigation app.

Has there been any recent indication of when it might become available?

Any information on whether it will be a "+" app so a single purchase will run on both the iPad and iPhone? I believe I read that anyone who has already purchased the iPhone version will get the iPad version as a free upgrade or something along those lines.

As I don't as yet have an iPhone (waiting for the 5) I'm reluctant to buy the iPhone version for my iPad without more information as it is a quite expensive app.

I was always impressed with how well TomTom ran on my HP WinMobile iPAQ 4" screen so am eager to try it on my iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not seen anything but I can't imagine that they're not working on this now, given the success of the iPad. There must be a significant market out there that they're going to miss unless they come up with an app soon.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can run their iPhone apps on the iPad, they will run at a smaller size than iPad apps or you can press the x2 button and they will fill the screen although they may not look as good.

The Archangel

OP
Yarrenbool

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can run their iPhone apps on the iPad, they will run at a smaller size than iPad apps or you can press the x2 button and they will fill the screen although they may not look as good.

The Archangel

I would do that *IF* I knew that it was a "+" app so when they release the iPad version I won't have to pay for it a second time; it is quite expensive.

Ah, yes, just thought of something else. When running the iPhone version of TomTom presumabely it runs only in portrait mode? The RamMount windshield mount I use for my iPad in my car can only hold the iPad in landscape orientation. Works great with Navigon but would be unusable with TomTom's iPhone version in portrait mode I would think.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yarrenbool said:
I would do that *IF* I knew that it was a "+" app so when they release the iPad version I won't have to pay for it a second time; it is quite expensive.

It is not a "+" app. So now you know.

The Archangel

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Navigon runs beautifully on the iPad and was on sale the last I checked. I haven't used TomTom though so I cannot compare. Also, there are no subscription fees in Navigon (owned now by Garmin).

Most reactions

Latest posts