What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Buy or not to buy that is the question

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just new to this forum.
I have owned an Iphone since the very first generation and currently have an Iphone 3GS. I may soon be in a position to buy an Ipad 3 and I would love to know from others who have an Iphone whether getting an Ipad 3 is surplus to requirements or would open up a new world to me. If I am asked why do I want one when I already have an Iphone, I don't really have an answer other than I JUST DO. Id be really interested to know how much use you get out of it and under what circumstances. Not sure if this is a need or a want. I know angry birds is more fun to play on an Ipad but beyond that I am not sure how much I would use it.

MarbellaSD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Admittedly I do not have an iPhone--yet, am probably waiting for the next one later this year--but i love my iPad1 and am going to upgrade, not sure if to a 2 or "3," although after reading the few comments posted today I will probably bite the bullet and get the new one. I use it all the time, to do email in another part of the house, surf the Web, for travel. My wondering is the reverse of yours: do I need an iPhone? But for some aspects of travel, such as when you are out and about for the day and want to use the apps--the iPhone is way more convenient. (Besides, I'm an email/Web addict.) People I know who have both like both. I like the larger screen and easier typing.

Not sure how much that helps...:rolleyes:

OP
L

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for such a quick response. The dilemma for me is that i can do everything ( I believe) on my Iphone that I could do on an Ipad, except with my phone I can text and ring people also. So why do I want one lol. I have wanted one ever since they came out but I am trying to be practical for once in my gadget loving life. I need to justify this to myself lol

sherrygodmother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lillyput,
Oh, but you can call from the iPad with FaceTime. You can also text using email instead of cell phone #.
If I'm truthful you don't need both, but, some of us have trouble with the small print on the phone and the iPad is so big and easy to read.
It fits right in your hand and you can search on eBay or order prints from Walgreens and be able to see what your doing.
I make a grocery list so much faster. I find the copying process so much easier especially for just a couple words or lines.
Don't get me wrong. You'd have to cut off my arm to get my iPhone but the iPad isn't strictly for convenience.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When I first purchased my iPhone I was amazed with what it could do and everything was so simple. Then I got an iPad and the phone paled in significance. Everything is so much more enjoyable on the iPad, the screen size is just superb for photos and videos and oh so much easier than the iPhone. Up to you but if you love your iPhone you'll love the iPad even more.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
L

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am certainly leaning towards buying one. They are not due in New Zealand till the 23rd March for the Ipad3 and I figure I may as well get the latest one if I am getting one at all.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not purchasing. My iPad 1 is working fine ith out any of the reported problems the iPad 3 has here.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lillyput said:
Hi and thanks for such a quick response. The dilemma for me is that i can do everything ( I believe) on my Iphone that I could do on an Ipad, except with my phone I can text and ring people also. So why do I want one lol. I have wanted one ever since they came out but I am trying to be practical for once in my gadget loving life. I need to justify this to myself lol

The iPad is a much better readable screen for web paging.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPhone 4S, iPad 1 and 2. They're great because they work well together -- shared apps, photos and other content. I was seriously considering an Android phone, but I started keeping track of how often I used the shared Apple ecosystem with phone and tablet, and decided that it wasn't worth the tradeoff, at least now.

I don't bring an iPad everywhere, but I usually have my phone. My phone takes great pictures and is fine for short reading sessions, but it's too small for enjoyable web surfing (I use iPhone to look up stuff on the go, but don't surf on it). I also wouldn't watch a movie on iPhone. When I'm at home or away someplace in a comfortable place, I can spend hours on iPad and never use my phone. On the go, I use phone for all sorts of convenient things, like QR code scanning, SMS, etc.

For me, it's just a great combo.

OP
L

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not purchasing. My iPad 1 is working fine ith out any of the reported problems the iPad 3 has here.

I'm not too worried about reported problems. There will be those I'm sure with every new thing. Just that I could get an Ipad 2 now but if I wait a week I can get the 3. LOL my 1st generation Iphone worked fine too till I drowned it accidentally.

OP
L

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPhone 4S, iPad 1 and 2. They're great because they work well together -- shared apps, photos and other content. I was seriously considering an Android phone, but I started keeping track of how often I used the shared Apple ecosystem with phone and tablet, and decided that it wasn't worth the tradeoff, at least now.

I don't bring an iPad everywhere, but I usually have my phone. My phone takes great pictures and is fine for short reading sessions, but it's too small for enjoyable web surfing (I use iPhone to look up stuff on the go, but don't surf on it). I also wouldn't watch a movie on iPhone. When I'm at home or away someplace in a comfortable place, I can spend hours on iPad and never use my phone.

Thanks for your opinion. Sounds good to me. I think maybe I won't realise the full potential till I have one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. Sounds good to me. I think maybe I won't realise the full potential till I have one.

I think so. Of course, iPad doesn't satisfy everyone, but if you're wanting one and can afford it, I'd get one and at least try it out. It shouldn't cost you anything to test drive, with so many free apps. If you already like iPhone, chances are good you'll like iPad, too.

If it turns out you don't like it, you can return it. Just buy somewhere with a reasonable return period and conditions.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lillyput said:
I'm not too worried about reported problems. There will be those I'm sure with every new thing. Just that I could get an Ipad 2 now but if I wait a week I can get the 3. LOL my 1st generation Iphone worked fine too till I drowned it accidentally.

I still use my iPhone 1 to play music throughout the house. I wonder if iPad 1 had as many problems as the follow up iPads have had.

OP
L

Lillyput

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't bring an iPad everywhere, but I usually have my phone. My phone takes great pictures and is fine for short reading sessions, but it's too small for enjoyable web surfing (I use iPhone to look up stuff on the go, but don't surf on it). I also wouldn't watch a movie on iPhone. When I'm at home or away someplace in a comfortable place, I can spend hours on iPad and never use my phone. On the go, I use phone for all sorts of convenient things, like QR code scanning, SMS, etc.

Thank you for your very full reasoning. My husband and I now both own the new Ipad and so far loving it. As you say the combination makes all the difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts