What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hehe i add my sim card but gprs at where i live like rest of things sux,
still i love my ipad2 and darn i really hate itunes wish find some other method beside itunes.

i dont like jail breakit but itunes keep pissing me off

You can download apps, music and movies directly to your iPad, you don't need to involve iTunes (I'm assuming you mean the iTunes software on the PC). If you've mp3 or videos on your PC you can transfer them over WiFi or USB using GoodReader - again, no reason to involve iTunes. I connected my iPad to my PC using iTunes day 1 - no other choice - and I've never connected them again since...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I installed it and it is working. That is the closing of windows. Anywhere a link to what other gestures are possible?

Regards,

Jan

Leigh - one of our moderators - has written this...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...abling-secret-multitasking-gestures-ipad.html

Tim

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hehe i add my sim card but gprs at where i live like rest of things sux,
still i love my ipad2 and darn i really hate itunes wish find some other method beside itunes.

i dont like jail breakit but itunes keep pissing me off

You can download apps, music and movies directly to your iPad, you don't need to involve iTunes (I'm assuming you mean the iTunes software on the PC). If you've mp3 or videos on your PC you can transfer them over WiFi or USB using GoodReader - again, no reason to involve iTunes. I connected my iPad to my PC using iTunes day 1 - no other choice - and I've never connected them again since...

Tim

The problem with this is Apple will not reimburse you for any Music, Movies or TV shows if you need to reformat your Ipad. My daughter spent over $100 on her Ipod nano and when my PC crashed and the Ipod died I could not re-download them. I had to contact Apple and they did a one time fix and told me to back up my iTunes folder regularly.
I will quote from the email when I'm home.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) and they do NOT support folder transfer; they use the POP mail protocol rather than IMAP. So, I was stuck with either forwarding my Roadrunner e-mails to Gmail so I could put them into folders (aka "labels") after they got back to my iPad or I could leave the Roadrunner e-mails in my iPad's inbox … which would just keep growing.

Ha! Today, I accidently discovered I could just move the Roadrunner e-mails into my Gmail account/labels. No re-mailing required!

I take an e-mail that comes in to my Time Warner Roadrunner account, press the "move" button (the little down arrow thingy in the Mail app), select a folder in my Gmail account (on the left side … when the iPad is in landscape mode … just browse to whatever folder you want) and put the e-mail into that folder. Ta da! You've moved an e-mail to a different account. Oh, and the Gmail server updates/sync to show that newly moved e-mail.

Now, y'all probably knew this tip/trick already, but I thought it was so cool - I had to share it as a tip. But, I no longer care that Roadrunner is a POP3 account with no way to make folders, so … yay! :)

BTW - I should imagine this would work for other accounts too, not just Roadrunner (and, if they are IMAP as Gmail is, the server may also update). I do know that I can move an e-mail from my Gmail to my Roadrunner account - the e-mail will "disappear" from Google's server and will show up in the Roadrunner account on the iPad. Or, I can move either of these accounts e-mails into a third e-mail account (my college e-mail). Granted, neither the college nor Roadrunner servers update like Gmail's does, but still, I think it's a handy way to manage e-mails/inboxes.

Just makes managing e-mails a little easier … as I do like folders for just-in-case-I-need-it storage purposes. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Jimv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I'm on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) and they do NOT support folder transfer; they use the POP mail protocol rather than IMAP. So, I was stuck with either forwarding my Roadrunner e-mails to Gmail so I could put them into folders (aka "labels") after they got back to my iPad or I could leave the Roadrunner e-mails in my iPad's inbox … which would just keep growing.

Ha! Today, I accidently discovered I could just move the Roadrunner e-mails into my Gmail account/labels. No re-mailing required!

I take an e-mail that comes in to my Time Warner Roadrunner account, press the "move" button (the little down arrow thingy in the Mail app), select a folder in my Gmail account (on the left side … when the iPad is in landscape mode … just browse to whatever folder you want) and put the e-mail into that folder. Ta da! You've moved an e-mail to a different account. Oh, and the Gmail server updates/sync to show that newly moved e-mail.

Now, y'all probably knew this tip/trick already, but I thought it was so cool - I had to share it as a tip. But, I no longer care that Roadrunner is a POP3 account with no way to make folders, so … yay! :)

BTW - I should imagine this would work for other accounts too, not just Roadrunner (and, if they are IMAP as Gmail is, the server may also update). I do know that I can move an e-mail from my Gmail to my Roadrunner account - the e-mail will "disappear" from Google's server and will show up in the Roadrunner account on the iPad. Or, I can move either of these accounts e-mails into a third e-mail account (my college e-mail). Granted, neither the college nor Roadrunner servers update like Gmail's does, but still, I think it's a handy way to manage e-mails/inboxes.

Just makes managing e-mails a little easier … as I do like folders for just-in-case-I-need-it storage purposes. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Thanks for that tip! I did not know that and it is very helpful!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ajagarwal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Undo redo buttons

Nickso said:
Just discovered this one today !!

To undo your last paste (from a cut and paste) shake your iPhone/iPad to bring a popup menu where you can press the Undo Paste button.

That is a funny one. My iPad 1 needs to be shacked quite hard for it to work, perhaps the iPad 2 can measure the shack more accurately.

You don't need to shake your iPad. Just tap on the number/symbol soft button on the keyboard and there will be a undo/redo large softkey.

pdxgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Random one, you can use your smart cover to clean your screen of smudges.

With your cover on, press on the last flap (one with magnets) and push it towards the hinge, while keeping it flat on the glass. Then, do the same pulling it back to its original position. Basically that last flap is now your screen cleaner.

This might have been posted earlier, but dont have time to read through, just something I discovered on my own and wanted to share.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ajagarwal said:
You don't need to shake your iPad. Just tap on the number/symbol soft button on the keyboard and there will be a undo/redo large softkey.

Wow I had my iPhone almost a year and a half and didn't even notice that button there!

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Wow. I must have been blind, using the number keyboard daily, without noticing the 'undo' button. I blame it on it's enormous size.

Lmao same here.

64GB 3G White iPad

kjaslow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a tip for those who use the native video application. If you want to scroll forward or backward using the scroll bar (aka 'scrubbing'), you can drag the slider DOWN to control how fine the left and right movements will be. In other words, select the slider, drag down to see the display change from 'Hi-speed scrubbing','Half speed scrubbing','Quarter speed scrubbing','Fine scrubbing' and then drag left or right...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ajagarwal said:

Wow. I must have been blind, using the number keyboard daily, without noticing the 'undo' button. I blame it on it's enormous size.

That was my reaction. TBH, I felt like an idiot after seeing that big ole button... :eek:

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts