What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny Keyboard

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This morning my keyboard was normal size. Now it is the size of a postage stamp in the lower left corner. I changed nothing in settings. I have done a hard close. Help!! See attached photo.

Attachments

• 9AA3B256-45E2-405C-B870-04449E9BC5CB.png
    9AA3B256-45E2-405C-B870-04449E9BC5CB.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 217

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a new feature called “floating keyboard”. You get this by holding the key at the bottom right:
886A9F81-3429-4FAE-9C3D-671C488427A3.png

To return to it’s normal size, pinch outward on the small keyboard:
50BD3217-E305-4943-A5D4-CED665D9CEF0.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a small drag handle at the bottom center of the keyboard. Drag it to the center and bottom of the screen. It will expand a bit. Let it go and your keyboard will be back to normal.

This is the floating keyboard, for those that want to thumb type, or just minimize how much of the screen the keyboard covers. You can turn it on by tap/holding on the keyboard key at the bottom right, the sliding you finger up to the pop-up and select “Floating”

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Back to normal. I had no idea that function even existed.

mountain-ash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I signed up this forum to answer this question. To add to the replies above, it’s not just for thumb typing but is also the QUICKPATH keyboard. Quickpath is iOS’s equivalent of Swype: you can drag your finger on the keyboard to write a word instead of tapping one letter at a time.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, look for it on youtube or Apple support pages. Some like it, some hate it.

I didn’t even know about the long press to get to the small (Quickpath kbd). I discovered it one day when I accidentally pinched it into the small size.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I signed up this forum to answer this question. To add to the replies above, it’s not just for thumb typing but is also the QUICKPATH keyboard. Quickpath is iOS’s equivalent of Swype: you can drag your finger on the keyboard to write a word instead of tapping one letter at a time.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, look for it on youtube or Apple support pages. Some like it, some hate it.

I didn’t even know about the long press to get to the small (Quickpath kbd). I discovered it one day when I accidentally pinched it into the small size.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's how I type.

Most reactions