What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wireless keyboard for ipad mini 4

Apollinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am considering buying the ipad mini 4. I am a fanatic outdoor worker, using mainly "PAGES" for my job, and until now I had a good experience with the first generation ipad (2011) that perfectly "clicked" into the docking station embodying the white Apple keyboard.
Now that things have changed and no more physical interaccessorial connections are possible, I will have to purchase a wireless keyboard to connect with the ipad mini.
It is essential for me to know whether any wireless keyboard will have the same accuracy and response with the classic keyboard physically attached to and connected with the old ipad or whether there will be "gaps" in my writing spree, forcing me to go back and retype the letters.
Moreover, do I need to buy the (expensive) Apple Magic Keyboard to achieve the maximum performance or can I find an equally effective alternative?

Thanks

Apollinar

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Apollinar - welcome to the forum! :) You are likely to receive a lot of personal comments from members who use a specific keyboard, so not sure that all of your questions will be answered. For myself, I have used the Apple wireless keyboard (KB) since 2011 (first w/ an iPad 2, then my iPad Air 2; also on my wife's iPad Mini) - once paired the keyboard has performed well and has none of the issues you list above.

If not already done, go to Amazon and search on "wireless keyboards for the iPad" - there will be plenty of hits - you'll need to decide if you want a 'stand alone' KB or one integrated into a case that will also carry the iPad? The ratings there will help you decide along w/ the occasional videos and Q&A sections for many of the products. Again, others will likely 'chime in' w/ their own opinions. Let us know what you choose - Dave

OP
Apollinar

Apollinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Apollinar - welcome to the forum! :) You are likely to receive a lot of personal comments from members who use a specific keyboard, so not sure that all of your questions will be answered. For myself, I have used the Apple wireless keyboard (KB) since 2011 (first w/ an iPad 2, then my iPad Air 2; also on my wife's iPad Mini) - once paired the keyboard has performed well and has none of the issues you list above.

If not already done, go to Amazon and search on "wireless keyboards for the iPad" - there will be plenty of hits - you'll need to decide if you want a 'stand alone' KB or one integrated into a case that will also carry the iPad? The ratings there will help you decide along w/ the occasional videos and Q&A sections for many of the products. Again, others will likely 'chime in' w/ their own opinions. Let us know what you choose - Dave

OK, Dave thank you for your helpful reply. I really appreciate it. I will definitely let you know of my further actions and my final decision.

Regards
Apollinar

D

Deleted member 247820

Hello Apollinar.
I have an iPad Mini 2.
I have an Apple wirerless keyboard ($90 approx) and a non Apple wireless keyboard, ($12 approx).
The Apple keyboard is definitely better than the non Apple keyboard.
As well in my case the Apple keyboard uses AA batteries for long life, compared to the other using AAA.
However I use the on board keyboard mostly.

D

Deleted member 247820

PS.
Did you look below towards the bottom of this page?
It shows several links to answer your question.

OP
Apollinar

Apollinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Dave and Peter for your help. Finally, I went for the Apple wireless keyboard (through which I am typing this message) and, fortunately, I have no problem! The only con is that I had to buy a bigger carrying case than the one I would have bought to accomodate only the mini ipad, but OK, this is not a big deal...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you Dave and Peter for your help. Finally, I went for the Apple wireless keyboard (through which I am typing this message) and, fortunately, I have no problem! The only con is that I had to buy a bigger carrying case than the one I would have bought to accomodate only the mini ipad, but OK, this is not a big deal...

Congrats on your Apple BT keyboard - I've had mine since April 2011 but mainly use it when I'm traveling and w/o my laptop - I'm happy w/ the 'smart cover' on my iPad and use the cloth KB case shown below w/ fits snugly (Amazon LINK), so two separate items for me to carry - there are so many case options whether you want separates or combos - might take some more looking around if your not happy w/ you current case - let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 1.06.30 PM.png

OP
Apollinar

Apollinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats on your Apple BT keyboard - I've had mine since April 2011 but mainly use it when I'm traveling and w/o my laptop - I'm happy w/ the 'smart cover' on my iPad and use the cloth KB case shown below w/ fits snugly (Amazon LINK), so two separate items for me to carry - there are so many case options whether you want separates or combos - might take some more looking around if your not happy w/ you current case - let us know. Dave :)
View attachment 68712

Thanks. The case shown is cute. I will browse through to see for more. Another con is that sometimes the keyboard in the case is turned on, as the on/off button is pressed in the case's sides. To be sure, I normally take one battery out...

Most reactions

Latest posts