What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erratic Keyboard

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lately my keyboard is acting erratically. When I tap the keyboard it doesn't always take all the letters. I know I am tapping them but they are not showing up. I have already done the shutdown thing and that didn't help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lately my keyboard is acting erratically. When I tap the keyboard it doesn't always take all the letters. I know I am tapping them but they are not showing up. I have already done the shutdown thing and that didn't help.

Hello - assume that you are using the iPad Mini - which model & what iOS is installed - might help? Also concerning 'done the shutdown', was this a 'Reset', i.e. hold both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the device to reboot.

Finally, has there been any liquid spills or other damage to the iPad, such as a drop? Dave :)

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it's an ipad mini, IOS 8.3. The model is ME277LL/A. No liquids spilled no has it been dropped. Yes, did the reset. This hs only happened in the past few weeks. Thanks for responding.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes it's an ipad mini, IOS 8.3. The model is ME277LL/A. No liquids spilled no has it been dropped. Yes, did the reset. This hs only happened in the past few weeks. Thanks for responding.

Hi again - I just updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 8.4.1 - not sure if & how you backup your device (I use both iTunes & iCloud), but if you use iTunes, my first suggestion would be to do a backup to your computer and then update your iOS - might correct the KB situation - don't know?

Quoted below are some suggestions from this Website - 'Resetting all Settings' could be a little drastic, but at least try the others and post back. If none of these help, then a Restoration would have to be considered.

Hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ supporting or additional ideas - Dave :)

Users have occasionally come across a keyboard that lags while typing an email or using iMessage. iOS 8 allows for use of third-party keyboards, but this issue persists even then.

Potential Solutions –
  • Guided Access, an accessibility mode, sometimes interferes with some keyboards. Go into Settings – General – Accessibility – Guided Access, and make sure that the button is off.
  • Go to Settings – iCloud – Documents and Data, and turn it off. If the issue goes away, you should be able to turn this back on again without the problem coming back.
  • You can also try resetting all settings by going to Settings – General – Reset all Settings.
  • Adding or removing third-party keyboards is now possible by going to Settings – General – Keyboards. Swiping a keyboard name to the left will reveal a delete button. Tap on “Add New Keyboard…” for other available options.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I am so embarrassed. I was using a stylus and didn't realize the rubber tip had split. Now I will know for next time. Thanks again for your time. :)

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, extremely relieved. I use this ipad all the time.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I am so embarrassed. I was using a stylus and didn't realize the rubber tip had split. Now I will know for next time. Thanks again for your time. :)

Well, as stated by TP, an 'easy' solution is always welcomed! Now in the future, if this question arises again, I'll add 'using a finger and/or stylus' to my list of questions - :D Dave

Spiritflower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
make sure your BLUETOOTH is turned ON in settings

Most reactions

Latest posts