What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on keeping Apple's iPad case closed

jryan727

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, so first off: Hello!

Now back to business: I bought a 64GB iPad last week, and decided I needed a case this week, so I looked around online, and settled on Apple's case. So far, I'm very happy with it, but I'd really like it if it'd stay closed when not sitting flat. I have a few thoughts on how to remedy this, and my best idea is to find two thin magnetic strips, and apply one to the cover and the other to the case around the iPad's bezel. It shouldn't require more than a couple of inches in the middle or two smaller sets of strips towards the top and towards the bottom. The latter may be a better solution so it doesn't interfere with the flap that the cover fits into.

There's certainly more complex solutions, but this seems to be the easiest.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The magnets won't cause any issue with the iPad, correct? I doubt they'd be strong enough to effect anything anyway (but magnets don't affect flash memory anyhow, right?)

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. I'm happy to be the guinea pig, as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this feature.

-Jim

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jryan, welcome to the forum. I'm using the Apple case and do not have a problem keeping it closed. Even if the magnets would not damage I don't think i would do that.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome to the forums!

I have had the Apple case 3 weeks now, and the only thing I don't like about it is the closing issue you speak of. Even flat it seldom is fully closed. I wondered if there was a reason apple didn't put magnets in it to begin with? Anyway, your idea sounds fine, assuming it doesn't interfere with WiFi or location services...

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems here closing the case. Wonder if you all have the unit fully inserted and the flap tucked underneath the left outer edge.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems here closing the case. Wonder if you all have the unit fully inserted and the flap tucked underneath the left outer edge.

Either that or theirs aren't worn in like mine already. I've been carrying mine around quite a bit to calls etc. and it stays closed so well that I have to wedge my finger between the covers to get it open or tilt it to the left to let it open a little.

OP
J

jryan727

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Either that or theirs aren't worn in like mine already. I've been carrying mine around quite a bit to calls etc. and it stays closed so well that I have to wedge my finger between the covers to get it open or tilt it to the left to let it open a little.

I must be missing something here, nothing keeps the cover closed, right? If you turn the iPad upside down (so the glass faces the floor) with the cover closed, it just swings open, right?

It's not really an issue normally, but I'm worried that if I drop the iPad, if it falls a particular way, the cover may swing open, and the iPad will smash face down on the ground, completely negating the whole purpose of having a case in the first place.

I'm not missing something, right? Nothing actively holds the cover closed, right?

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right. It's really not a protective case. If you want something to shield it if dropped, you're gonna want a different case. The apple case is tacky which helps keep it in your hands. I would think the more bulky cases would give you better protection but also might be more unwieldy. If you drop your ipad its gonna need to be thick to prevent damage but it might get in your way too in everyday use.

OP
J

jryan727

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right. It's really not a protective case. If you want something to shield it if dropped, you're gonna want a different case. The apple case is tacky which helps keep it in your hands. I would think the more bulky cases would give you better protection but also might be more unwieldy. If you drop your ipad its gonna need to be thick to prevent damage but it might get in your way too in everyday use.

Yeah that's the problem, I don't intend on dropping it, I'm usually pretty careful, I really wanted something to protect it against dings and scratches, and to cover the screen when it's on at able or something just in case something were to fall on it or something. Just very basic protection. I don't like big bulky cases, I needed something very lightweight, with basic protection, that doubled as a stand to put the iPad at a better typing angle. That narrowed it down to Apple's case and Macally's case. I thought Apple's looked better, and surprisingly it's a bit cheaper.

Anyway, I don't know how the iPad will hold up if I dropped it, but I feel that with this case, it has a better shot at surviving :D

I should also note that I like this case, I'd just like it more if the cover had some method of staying closed (like the macally case). I think it looks great, feels good, and props the iPad up very nicely for typing

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Good point abblePC.... Mine is "broke in" the opposite way. It spends most of it's time open and tucked in the slot for typing. Then on the occasion I do pick it up and close it, it's like it's "sprung" and there is a little gap....

Anyway, like the OP I really like the case, but would like it better if it had a clasp or some other method to keep it closed,,,,,

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
simple...glue/sew on Velcro. a whole lot easier than magnets

add a small button on the front and a longer strap on the back. done and done.

use black

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sleek Business iPad cover

simple...glue/sew on Velcro. a whole lot easier than magnets

add a small button on the front and a longer strap on the back. done and done.

use black

You can also do like us , of course our one is fixed on top and bottom in rear , but i believe a long band with a good knitting can also work well

Attachments

• IMG_0004xs.jpg
    IMG_0004xs.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 328

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found some black, flat elastic hair bands... they are 1/2" wide x 8" dia & stretch to 12" or so... they fit the apple case well.

I will loop one over the front flap of case & slip it over the back flap to close case

Brand: Goody Stayput 3 bands for about $5

michelle m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They have a product to keep the case closed called the Clasp for the iPad. It looks like the same material as the case and has a Velcro tab.,

Moderator edit...removed external links! Please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts