What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those Irritating Update "Reminders"

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alright already! I am fed up with them. As much as I have enjoyed all my iPads---from first generation through my current Pro, I have had it!

First, the general issue: With each update, which is usually geared up to take advantage of newer and faster hardware, my iPad runs slower because of the bloated OS running on my older hardware. Ergo, updating leads to obsolence of the hardware. So---I decide to pass on updating in the interest of maintaining the health of my current iPad---even though it means foregoing newer apps which take advantage of the newer hardware. (The ratchet effect? Newer hardware implies newer software which, in turn, implies the need for newer hardware, ad infinitum.) And, by the way, newer iPads every six months to one year is simply too fast!

But things have reached a new low. Last night I decided to relax with a movie on my iPad. In the middle of the movie up pops that ****ed update "reminder"---and it froze my movie until I closed it and its follow on hasseling "tonight or sometime later" alert. Not even the option to say "don't call me, I'll call you!" I consider this an invasion of. privacy: I can't even watch a movie without Big Brother Apple breaking in on it!

When will this harassment end?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also turn off the App Store by going to Settings>General>Restrictions>Installing Apps and In-App Purchases and turning them off. The App Store icon will disappear from your home screen and there will be no update notifications.

grumpydwarf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE tell me what is PRO about the latest ipad 9.7 PRO! because I see very little difference between it and other models to make it PROFESSIONAL!??

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pro is not an abbreviation for "professional", afaik, it's simply a hint that this iPad uses the latest technology, i.e. components that make it faster and better than the devices before.

There are differences to previous iPads. Some of the tasks you can do on the iPad Pro can't be done on iPad Air 2, e.g.
iPad Pro - Experience

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The most obvious difference between the iPad Pro models and other iPads is the ability to use the Apple Pencil along with the extra functionality it brings.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, Folks---unfortunately the suggested workarounds do not "work around!" I am still being harassed to update to 9.3.1,

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How to unsubscribe to the regular and irritating reminders?
If there's an available update for your iPad, you can't stop reminders that there's an available update. In fact, the update will automatically download if your iPad is on WiFi, asleep, and plugged into a charger. It will have to be installed manually, though. You can delete the downloaded, but not installed, update by going to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage and scrolling down the list of installed apps until you see the update. Delete it by swiping it to the left, revealing the delete button. Tap the button and confirm the deletion on the next screen.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there's an available update for your iPad, you can't stop reminders that there's an available update. In fact, the update will automatically download if your iPad is on WiFi, asleep, and plugged into a charger. It will have to be installed manually, though. You can delete the downloaded, but not installed, update by going to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage and scrolling down the list of installed apps until you see the update. Delete it by swiping it to the left, revealing the delete button. Tap the button and confirm the deletion on the next screen.

Thanks. just saw this on YouTube and was about to post the procedure when I saw your posting. So I suppose you will get one notification when it downloads but removing the update precludes others. Am I right?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. just saw this on YouTube and was about to post the procedure when I saw your posting. So I suppose you will get one notification when it downloads but removing the update precludes others. Am I right?
No, when the next iOS update becomes available you'll receive notification just like before and if you're on WiFi and connected to the charger, the update will download, just like before.

Most reactions

Latest posts