What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This forum software

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mods, please move this if there's a more appropriate area.

Since the recent switch in forum sotware, it's become challenging to navigate ipadforums.net on an iPad (go figure). It's fine on my high-end iMac, but it seems my iPad3 must be too old to deal with all the herky-jerky floating stuff. I have to wait until all the jumping banners and geegaws stop flitting up and down the screen before tapping any link to proceed, or nothing happens...or worse, the wrong link gets selected.

Is all this animated eye candy really necessary? Does anyone test responsiveness on an actual iPad? Is there a mobile-friendly version I could use instead? I had to abandon my favorite browser, Mercury, because it became intolerably slow, but even Safari is brought to its knees by all the spurious code.

It just seems comically ironic that an iPad forum is barely usable on an iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's even worse on an iPhone. There's a whole new way of doing the same tasks to be learned. The issue is with the recent update to the XenForo forum software that's used on this forum.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update: I discovered how to restore the original ipadforums skin in my profile prefs, and it lacks the problematic jumpy elements. Seems much faster now. Purpler, too! :)

I realize that won't simplify your official administrative tasks, but it might make them go a wee bit more quickly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For what it's worth, it seems to work most of the time on my iPad Pro, and I only had a few, occational problems on the iPad Air; the worst of which were fixed by Clearing Web Data and History in Safari.

Because the iPad Pro has such a big screen, I've been using the website almost all the time on the iPad Pro. Besides, I don't care for the look of TapTalk on the Pro. It hasn't been updated and the old keyboard looks and feels horrible on the larger screen.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had to dump Mercury myself. They couldn't keep up with all the iOS updates. It's a shame it was my favorite

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In case anyone else is wondering, you can change the style at this URL: Style Chooser | Apple iPad Forum

Or there is a selector near the footer of the page, it should say "iPadForums - UI.X" if you click on that, the selector should pop up.
Thanks very much for the link. I think a post with this link should be made a sticky so anyone can find it easily.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was just me. What I have noticed is the page moving up and down so much. I am now trying the UI.X to see if it works better. It seems to be better on my eyes too right now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was just me. What I have noticed is the page moving up and down so much. I am now trying the UI.X to see if it works better. It seems to be better on my eyes too right now.
That page jumping around got annoying real fast. I'd want to tap on something and the page would jump just as I tapped the screen, sending me to the wrong page. This new solution has stopped that for me.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That page jumping around got annoying real fast. I'd want to tap on something and the page would jump just as I tapped the screen, sending me to the wrong page. This new solution has stopped that for me.

Lol! I know...I'd get to the top of the page...thinking it was the top until it made that finally jump! I kept going to the wrong area! So far so good for me, but I have only been on for a while. Also, my typing gets really slow with posts and I get words that have spaces in it. Right now, I am not getting much of that now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In case anyone else is wondering, you can change the style at this URL: Style Chooser | Apple iPad Forum

Or there is a selector near the footer of the page, it should say "iPadForums - UI.X" if you click on that, the selector should pop up.

Awesome. Besides being partial to purple (as long as I don't have to wear it), for some reason I find it a bit easier to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions