What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This forum and Cookies?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
anyone else have to always manualy mark forums as read because they constantly show up as new but once you click on it, all items have been read already?

Also it seems that the forums settings are set to store cookies on the users computer instead of on the webserver database.

This means when switching back and forth between multiple computers and the ipad. Each computer thinks different items are new or have been read already.

any chance that a moderator or someone in charge of the site could go to
vboptions > general settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
and change it to DataBase

this would help out a lot, and keep everything the same no matter what computer/device with are using. I could read something on my PC, then move to my iPad and the stuff i read on my PC would not show as new on my iPad.

Dav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I have same issue, we need a mod to just change the settings like you say then all should be good to go.

winwaed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.geowebguru.com
I found that setting the time zone for your log-in, largely fixed this problem.

Looks like the forum was getting confused between your browser's reported time and the server's clock.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I found that setting the time zone for your log-in, largely fixed this problem.

Looks like the forum was getting confused between your browser's reported time and the server's clock.

My time-zone is set correctly already.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I just spoke with idan they guy that runs the site and he said this is how they want it to be setup and that many users have said that they like it better the way it is.

That just crazy talk, who on earth would want to have stuff they already read to show up as being new.

I creaded a poll so people can vote.
http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-polls/5314-website-cookies.html

Last edited:

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just spoke with idan they guy that runs the site and he said this is how they want it to be setup and that many users have said that they like it better the way it is.

That just crazy talk, who on earth would want to have stuff they already read to show up as being new.

I creaded a poll so people can vote.
http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-polls/5314-website-cookies.html

Thanks for bringing this up, seems to be the only forum I'm on that does it "the other way." (I'm on a shit load of forums)

Hopefully people understand what the point of the pole is though!

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Totally agree.... It would be nice if our sysadmin can make it a feature that we can choose in our profile to show read or not read.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's stored in the database, (just playing devil's advocate) how does that affect performance when you have say...10,000 members on at any given time?

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If it's stored in the database, (just playing devil's advocate) how does that affect performance when you have say...10,000 members on at any given time?

#1 this website doesnt have that many users
Most users ever online was 2,104, Yesterday at 04:54 PM.

#2 MySQL database can handle it with no problems with a reasonable server setup.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it doesn't now, but it could very well soon enough. It's the number one result in Google when you type "ipad forum".

For example, my Corvette Forum that I belong to has 242k members and God knows how many on at any given time.

I agree that it would be better because when I get home from work or even between my iPad and my desktop, they always show as unread....I was just playing devil's advocate.

Most reactions

Latest posts