What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about buying an Ipad...will it work in Italy?

Winkdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I live is the US and are thinking about buying an ipad. If we take it to Italy with us on vacation, will we be able to use the Internet on it? Does the monthly data plan include this or will local Italy internet providers try to charge me by the minute for usage?

dale600rr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Wifi only version will work anywhere in the world, as long as you are in range of a Wifi access point and have access to it.
The 3G version is not network locked so should also work anywhere in the world. If you are roaming on your US SIM card then expect to pay high data rates and would not be included in your data package from what I understand. Alternatively, if you can put in an Italian SIM card and pay local rates (not sure what they will be). You can of course still make use of the built-in Wifi as above...

I hope that helps.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iam going to Rome at the end of sept time frame to meet up with my son and the hotel iam staying at has free Wifi for the guest in the hotel ..

iam going to take a samsong grounded italian power travel power plug adapter adaptor unit to allow me charge and power the unit when iam in the hotel ..

plus iam going to download a complete guide to Rome in e-book form to help with a couple of places for use to use when we are in the city..

dale600rr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iam going to Rome at the end of sept time frame to meet up with my son and the hotel iam staying at has free Wifi for the guest in the hotel ..

iam going to take a samsong grounded italian power travel power plug adapter adaptor unit to allow me charge and power the unit when iam in the hotel ..

plus iam going to download a complete guide to Rome in e-book form to help with a couple of places for use to use when we are in the city..

The IPAD does come with a universal power adapter, i.e. it can take 110V or 220V so can work anywhere in the world. The only challenge is getting a converter that will allow a US plug to be plugged into an Italian socket. I've noticed that some people think they need to get a 110V to 220V converter when this is definitely not the case.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the unit is design to allow the us prong set up to be connected to the Italy style plug in set up .. i got the unit brand new off amazon and it was a bargin at $.8.oo dollars total to my front door ..

my son and i are going to meet up in Rome and do a few things togerther as a guy thing

Most reactions