What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think first!

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it does everything I need it to do...how will it work a year from now?? Who cares? It's under $1000!!! I paid $800 with the case! When iPad 2.0 comes out, if there is a hardware boost I'll get that one!! This isn't a $2500 laptop that needs to last years...it is priced to be disposable!

I think this is an excellant point.

If in a year a great new iPad 2.0 comes out and it will there are going to be a whole bunch of iPad 1.0s out there, will you take $100 for your old one or leave it on the bedstand table to check email so you don't have to go ALL the way out to the living room to get the new one. The wifi doesn't cost anything to use, battery lasts weeks just sitting there, or decide to just give it to someone who can use it.

So far 90% of what I use the iPad for is email, surfing and books; it is worth what I paid for it just for those 3 things.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will never drop to $100. You must not have had Apple products before. It takes quite a while before a used Apple item drops much in price.

I have sold three used iPhones for more than I paid for each one. That is because of the strong demand overseas for these mobile devices. If you feel your used iPad is only worth $100 a year from now, I will give you $125 cash and pay for shipping it to me. That is an open offer to everyone on this forum.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just pulled $100 out of the air, it may be $250 but this is just the beginning and there are going to be a whole lot of 1.0s laying around in 5 years.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are assuming too much from ayerbusiness post, what I think he meant was whether or not you should buy 3G or WiFi and to take the time while waiting for your iPad to be available/restocked, to make a more justified decision between the two.

Funny thing is though, I have thought what it would be like, using my Bluetooth headset (dual link) paired to the iPad and iPhone, to make phone calls from my 3G iPad.

Holding it like a phone, no way, but more like a business link, meaning tap a phone number on the iPad but have my iPhone dial out the call. Or if the iPhone is being used the option to invoke the call from the iPad and even manage it from there, perhaps while using the iPhone as the base but the iPad as the controller/handset. Once the call would complete, it would automatically release the phone activity back to the iPhone only.

It just seems so likely being both devices are on the same ATT network as well as manufactured by Apple and with the proper use of the OS to handle this likely feature. 10 times in a day, as I move through notes and or contacts and work contract documents with embedded numbers on the iPad, I wished this was an already enabled feature set.

Agree completely. The original intent of the thread looked to be an inquiry into "3G or not 3G".

As far as the off topic of "iPad as a phone on ATT", I too would like to see an app that ties the iPad, iPhone and a Bluetooth headset together. Even more awesome would be using the iPad for video conferencing integrated with the iPhone voice service and as the camera.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple iPhone = billions for Apple
Apple iPad = billions for Apple

Why would Apple want to cut its Billions in half?

Why would you assume all iPad users own iPhones? I can't see spending more than two grand on a cell phone, but I own to iPods and an iPad.

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
iPad 3G/WiFi VOIP / Landline phone calling

No, the 3G has only a data-"modem". VoIP is ok, but NO phone calls.

While it does only have a data only modem, voice traffic is sent as data, analog is gone. If you, some how, send analog to a switch they'll make you digital with a highly techily named 'analog to digital converter', clever ehh.

Anywho... I make calls from my ipad to both VOIP AND land lines now. I'm actually writing up a walk through showing how to do it now.

The solution has some limitations *but* I think those will get better with OS 4.0, I'll be putting the walk-through up on ipad-candy.com VERY soon!

Regards,

Last edited:

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
I just pulled $100 out of the air, it may be $250 but this is just the beginning and there are going to be a whole lot of 1.0s laying around in 5 years.

5 years! HAHAH that's like an eternity in this day and age man. Any technology device is archaic 5 years later! Seriously, think about it what does that prove/show?

Unless I'm missing a profound point here I have NO IDEA what your argument is/may be.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would love to have phone powers on my iPad. When I used my desktop I often would make calls using a bluetooth and Skype. That would/will love that function when we have third party multiple-tasking.

I can already see myself watching a video, a call comes in and the video pauses while I speak.

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org

viperviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All, I got it working and git the tutorial/walkthrough up here iPad 3G and WiFi Phone Calling %%title%% iPad tutorials and reveiws iPad equipment and software it's pretty easy if you step through it slowly! But taking and making free calls to and from VoIP and land lines on both 3G and WiFi.

Truly I think the future of VoIP is great. I have some great visions for future apps under 4.0!!!

The so called 'tutorial' for adopting VOIP on the iPad is poorly written and fatally flawed for most new iPad users.

It assumes one has Gizmodo5 which has been aquired by Google and closed to new users. It also assumes that you have Google Voice which is available in Beta but a little involved to acquire. I've had GV for some time now and find its quality/reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

It also annoys me that Google blocks certain numbers I use regularly because Google may incur an interconnect charge under the current telecom rules.

But that isn't saying VOIP is impossible on the iPad 3G with the goal or free or almost free VOIP calls. Here Google is your friend and some time following what is current for the summer of 2010 would be in order.

That said Skype will probably end up being the best bet for most iPhone users this next month with the release of iPhone OS 4 and for iPad users Skype will be dah bomb this fall if you want to use the iPad to connect to someone using VOIP.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

5 years! HAHAH that's like an eternity in this day and age man. Any technology device is archaic 5 years later! Seriously, think about it what does that prove/show?

Unless I'm missing a profound point here I have NO IDEA what your argument is/may be.

My argument is that there will be huge numbers of iPad 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0s in 5 years, but they will still do what they do today, or probably much more with software upgrades.

The higher the number the lower the used price will be. I think that the price will be so low that we will keep the old iPads in our home or car like we do phonebooks or notepads now rather than selling them.

The problem with computers is the hardware is pretty much static, sure you can add memory and hard drive space but if you add all those new programs it will run sluggish, but if you had bought a new computer in 2000 and added not a single program to it and used it for, email, surfing and writing letters it should do that just as fast as the day you bought it.

If I want to check my email 5 years from now on this iPad, I am sure it will work just as good as it does today so there may be many laying around homes used only sporadically.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And one more thing, the reason you sell your iPhone is that for it to work well you need to have a contract, which with the wifi and 1 month contract 3G and movies etc an old iPad will serve a purpose.

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Line2 by Toktumi

No, the 3G has only a data-"modem". VoIP is ok, but NO phone calls.

VOIP is for phone calls. That is what I run here at the house 24x7 using OOMA to interface to the Internet.

Line2 should work on iPad 3G.

The phone apps I have tried (VoiceCentral and Line2) both seem
to work fine (with a earbud headset and mic) on both ipad and ipad2.

Sound fine and almost free calling!

Most reactions

Latest posts