What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

think about the personal privacy issuse with a camera on a ipad unit ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see no need for a camera now or in the future of the ipad unit ..why a camera when it can be used to spy on you.. here is my reason behind the post ..

remember the philly highschool student that got called into the vice principal office and told that he was doing bad behavior in his own room in his own home and he need to stop that ..so why have something that a person could look into your home on the unit ..as a father of my childern that scares the liveing heck out of me for why does the V.P of a school need to spying on my child along with what he doing telling my child about socalled bad behavior in his own room ..

let put to this way .. you have a teenage daughter at home in her room with a webcamera set up on the unit and it sit up for home use for school reports etc etc etc.. ..some guy who is pretty good at hacking is now hacked into the your daughter room and he watching her every movement from her undress to going to bed ..to me that a little creepy ..for iam the father of three girls and i would hate to think that the simple unit that they use for school can be used to spy on them and invade therer privacy and there personal lifes by watching there every move they make or it beening sold online in another country where the legal age for somethings are a lot lower than it here in the states..

plus where does the personal privacy laws start and stop in these matters ..it better not to have a camera in the unit ..and remember Clinton what the V-chip in anything electronic to allow the Government security personal to back door a computer if need be ..

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would pretty much eliminate video chat, wouldn't it?

I would argue that a piece of masking tape over the camera lens is pretty unhackable.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems a little extreme. A laptop with spyware on it owned by the school and lent out to students is very different from a personal iPad.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the whole thing about the school and the laptop was the fact the vp called the child into his office and schooled the child on the something that happen inside the child own personal bedroom area..

to me that was a major privacy issuse for i would be scared to think about the future holds for the kids and the issuse of privacy

traylorc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see no need for a camera now or in the future of the ipad unit ..why a camera when it can be used to spy on you.. here is my reason behind the post ..

remember the philly highschool student that got called into the vice principal office and told that he was doing bad behavior in his own room in his own home and he need to stop that ..so why have something that a person could look into your home on the unit ..as a father of my childern that scares the liveing heck out of me for why does the V.P of a school need to spying on my child along with what he doing telling my child about socalled bad behavior in his own room ..

let put to this way .. you have a teenage daughter at home in her room with a webcamera set up on the unit and it sit up for home use for school reports etc etc etc.. ..some guy who is pretty good at hacking is now hacked into the your daughter room and he watching her every movement from her undress to going to bed ..to me that a little creepy ..for iam the father of three girls and i would hate to think that the simple unit that they use for school can be used to spy on them and invade therer privacy and there personal lifes by watching there every move they make or it beening sold online in another country where the legal age for somethings are a lot lower than it here in the states..

plus where does the personal privacy laws start and stop in these matters ..it better not to have a camera in the unit ..and remember Clinton what the V-chip in anything electronic to allow the Government security personal to back door a computer if need be ..

And the nominees for most over-dramatic post on an Ipad forum goes to.....

:D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the whole thing about the school and the laptop was the fact the vp called the child into his office and schooled the child on the something that happen inside the child own personal bedroom area..

to me that was a major privacy issuse for i would be scared to think about the future holds for the kids and the issuse of privacy

True but the nature of iPad's os would make that kind of spying impossible without the end user knowingly starting the video broadcast app.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at every intersection in every major metro market in the US and will find cameras on every corner. You are being watched all the time. With this logic you would ban every portable video cam being produced. What about the flip, or the kodak vid cam? The footage taken on any if these devices could end up on the Internet. Parents are responsible for making sure their kids aren't being stupid.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although the OP may be delving into conspiracy gray areas, he still has a valid concern, he did say he has three daughters and of school age. One you have kids in school using this latest technology you may feel differently.

Especially when the schools are getting bolder each day with Flu shots and other types of meds without consent of parents. Then on top of that you have these new devices that I being a tech can fully understand, when there is a WILL there is a WAY.

If the schools wanted to spy they can and it doesn't have to be known. Even when a company says it can't be or never will be done, never say never.

I think the iPad is a formidable key device in the future of learning aids for our school aged children, but should remain under tight guidelines as to what privacy is involved when being used in their personal homes.

Then when you read something like this. People want to make funny when it can be quite serious, Sheesh for a minute after reading your response Tray, I thought I was reading MacRumors forums. This forum is much friendlier and I would like to see it remain that way, please be more open minded before putting down some one else's opinion.

Arguments are good if balanced and not just stating opinion to attempt at showing your elevated ego, but rather to show your side of the argument to counter others statements is more efficient and just polite.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K, let's get rid of all camera's, mic's, anything that can be used to monitor what we are doing. Better sent those satellites out of orbit. The Topic creator is being over dramatic. Laptop's have had camera's for years. If they take them away from all laptop's that is not going to prevent the pervs from finding other way's to spy. Simple truth for ya.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Abble, I have two daughters-one in elementary and one headed to high school. They both have cell phones with vide cams. We have had several discussions about the camera and photos and what happens to the photo when it's sent to others. My point is that we are already surrounded by cameras everywhere we go. As far as the example is concerned all schools have electronic media policies. I signed one for each of my children. These policies should spell out how the tech should or should not be used. We have to prepare our children for things that our parents didn't have to worry about. It starts at home with educating our children.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I had kids, and iPads had cameras, then my kids would be iPad-less. As fas as what has been mentioned how we already have cameras all over metro areas, I personally think it's horsecrap that we have that now and is one of the many reasons I left the big city.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K, let's get rid of all camera's, mic's, anything that can be used to monitor what we are doing. Better sent those satellites out of orbit. The Topic creator is being over dramatic. Laptop's have had camera's for years. If they take them away from all laptop's that is not going to prevent the pervs from finding other way's to spy. Simple truth for ya.

Ok,thats extreme, you know it wont happen so who's being dramatic now?

Just be aware is all any one is really saying here. Besides all those things mentioned are not the same as some one other than yourself being in control of a media sensing device such as an iPad or laptop or whatever else with a camera inside, that is being used in your own HOME, which could be remotely activated to spy or unknown to the end user. Things you mention are in the public eye, not private for the most part.

Brohn said it clearly and concisely that it all starts with the parents and educating the kids what to watch for and how things work or what to expect as consequences if you don't follow certain guidelines.

This takes me back a few years before digital everything, when people still had MA Bell phones (analog) POTS lines (Plain Old Telephone System) running into their home. Even then those who opted to or could deem it necessary had the ability to un-latch the line from outside and with the phone in off-hook mode listen in or monitor the room, to those within the room the phone was still physically hung up or appeared so.

That was then, things are much more easier to disguise these days and sometimes a little goes too far with what officials think is ok or within our Constitutional rights (oops I struck an American chord, here come stomping in those media trained Anti republican of the united states.)- (Corp Amerika lovers).

Its all basic privacy when we are talking about these devices in our homes and the access some one from outside has. Yes the weakest link is always the one that opens the door without knowledge of their actions, yet words can also do the same by supporting un regulated events that do and can occur, just by scoffing at it and saying it is nothing really. People should really stand up and be responsible or next you will be asking if its ok to walk the dog after dark.

bleh its a lost cause, so many have already been brainwashed, yet there are still many more out there like Brohn that gets it.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the nominees for most over-dramatic post on an Ipad forum goes to.....

if you think iam beening over dramatic ..ask yourself this one question..

how long was the vp of the school had been spying on the kids in the diff homes in the school area ..

that the point i getting at ..how long was he doing it ..was spying on the teenage boys only or girls also ..

i understand the need for a way for the school to track the laptop that i do not have the problem with that..plus the need to recover a stolen laptop as it need ..

but the fact the V.p of the school called the kid into his office and told the kid about the going on in the own bedroom ....that scares the liveing crap out of me for the vp of the school steped over the line and i mean way over the line when it comes to a child privacy and the laws.. ..

would like to have you family members spied on by the school and yes i know that there are cameras on each street and how we drive and being watched by the traffic cameras that does not bother me along with the understanding of the reason why they are there ..but when it cross over into the my personal space about beening spyed on by a school ..that goes over the line with me ..

the fact that the school was looking into my family bedroom bugs the holy liveing crap out of me ..my girls are not angels in the least for they are grow and out of the house in there own homes and school .. ..but i know that now they have common sense to keep a towel over the computer in the bedroom in there own homes.. and the dorm room to keep out the prying eyes ..

it was my youngest who bought the thing about the school and the vp spying on the kids for she is at Penn state when the story broke about the school .. belive me when the FBI gets involved in the case the school is not going to like and they are thinking about bring some heavywieght charges on the school v.p about the spying on the kids ..

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I was being over dramatic intentionally, to prove my point. I thought that was rather obvious. Want some more? Lets get rid of the internet to stop spammers, cars to halt kidnappers, or maybe pollution. Keeping the camera out of our electronics is not the solution. Most realize this. The problem is else where.

Ok,thats extreme, you know it wont happen so who's being dramatic now?

Just be aware is all any one is really saying here. Besides all those things mentioned are not the same as some one other than yourself being in control of a media sensing device such as an iPad or laptop or whatever else with a camera inside, that is being used in your own HOME, which could be remotely activated to spy or unknown to the end user. Things you mention are in the public eye, not private for the most part.

Brohn said it clearly and concisely that it all starts with the parents and educating the kids what to watch for and how things work or what to expect as consequences if you don't follow certain guidelines.

This takes me back a few years before digital everything, when people still had MA Bell phones (analog) POTS lines (Plain Old Telephone System) running into their home. Even then those who opted to or could deem it necessary had the ability to un-latch the line from outside and with the phone in off-hook mode listen in or monitor the room, to those within the room the phone was still physically hung up or appeared so.

That was then, things are much more easier to disguise these days and sometimes a little goes too far with what officials think is ok or within our Constitutional rights (oops I struck an American chord, here come stomping in those media trained Anti republican of the united states.)- (Corp Amerika lovers).

Its all basic privacy when we are talking about these devices in our homes and the access some one from outside has. Yes the weakest link is always the one that opens the door without knowledge of their actions, yet words can also do the same by supporting un regulated events that do and can occur, just by scoffing at it and saying it is nothing really. People should really stand up and be responsible or next you will be asking if its ok to walk the dog after dark.

bleh its a lost cause, so many have already been brainwashed, yet there are still many more out there like Brohn that gets it.

Mike96734

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a simple solution would be a physical slide that covers the camera, it would work as a "non-hackable" form of protection, and would probably offer the camera itself some protection.

Simple is always the best.

Most reactions

Latest posts