What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things i don't get about iPad

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know how all the most recently used apps appear in that special bar of icons when you double press the Home button? I find it tedious to close those icons (double-press, press-and-hold, then press again), but I'm told that there's no real need to close them.

So in the space of a few weeks, I have so many icons in the Recent bar that I have to swipe three times to see them all and find what I want. Which is a lot like swiping through the regular screens to find the app I want, except there I don't have to double-click first.

In other words, the Recent bar seems less convenient, not more. Do you agree? Am I wrong? I don't get it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally speaking apps that are not in use go into a wait-state, however some continue to use some memory which allows them to function immediately when called upon again. A good rule of thumb is to periodically close unused apps to free up memory. That will also help reduce the need to swipe repeatedly across all of the open apps to find the one you're looking for.

There are apps that will close all of the open apps at one but IIRC they are only available for jailbroken iPads. A "close all" app would be a nice addition to the App Store for sure.

An option might be to create folders of apps that you use often or at least to organize them to be easier to find when you need them. To create a folder, simply press and hold any app icon until they all start jiggling, then drag any app icon over another and a folder will be created. You can accept the default folder name or rename it whatever you like. At the same time you can drag folders anywhere on the screen or to another screen (by dragging it to the right or left edge of the screen and waiting a moment until it slides onto the next screen). Press the Home button when you're done.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know how all the most recently used apps appear in that special bar of icons when you double press the Home button? I find it tedious to close those icons (double-press, press-and-hold, then press again), but I'm told that there's no real need to close them.

So in the space of a few weeks, I have so many icons in the Recent bar that I have to swipe three times to see them all and find what I want. Which is a lot like swiping through the regular screens to find the app I want, except there I don't have to double-click first.

In other words, the Recent bar seems less convenient, not more. Do you agree? Am I wrong? I don't get it.

It takes a split second ~ and this is an inconvenience?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Everything is an inconvenience in today's rushed society. If it can't be done instantly, well that's just too long. -shakes head-

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score

No I don't get it. I only use the double click like a back button . If I'm using about 3-4 apps together as a task I use the double click . Other than that I don't see the use of double click anyway. I don't think the double click is much more than an app usage history for me, and agree it's not faster to use it to open an app I haven't used in a few days. I don't see that as a problem though.
I got xsysinfo to manage memory instead of closing them 1 at a time, if that's what you mean

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I certainly agree that using the "most recent apps" bar to select apps you wish to run is inefficient. If you have a sufficient number of apps to make it difficult to identify the app you want on a single screen (and most of us do), it makes far more sense to organize the apps into groups and place them on separate screens according to some organizational principle you come up with.

The "most recent" bar is useful only to quickly identify apps you've been using very recently (usually the first set shown) for those of us whose short term memory is affected either by age or consumption of recreational substances. It roughly corresponds to the "last six" app box that an Android user can access quickly (by a long press on the Home button) in that environment. Apple apparently felt that it was advantageous in some way to enable the user to see every app they've run since the last system reboot rather than limit the list to some arbitrary number or time slice.

I also suspect that it exists to cope with a condition I've only run across once in the five months I've owned an iPad. Running Rage HD last week, the app reported it did not have enough available memory to run and asked me to close some apps. I suspect that Apple provided the "most recent" bar as a tool to use in that situation. Again, that contrasts with Android's more complex multi-tasking functionality where the OS detects and then resolves that situation without user intervention.

Finally, although it would be very rare in the iOS environment, it's possible (I suspect) that an app could slip past Apple's quality control and "go rogue" by continuing to run even when the user believes he/she has stopped using it. In such a case, the "most recent" bar would be useful in identifying the culprit. That use, of course, is not functionality that Apple would be likely to publicize, but I suspect it may have been a reason the engineers included the feature in a relatively accessible (but otherwise not visible) spot.

Last edited:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are only a few apps that I use every time I wake up/turn on my iPad, and those are mainly in my bar at the bottom. I don't double click the home button in order to go to recent apps - I only double click it to periodically "kill" apps to save up memory. I really don't find it in convenient to go through my apps in my folders to find the app I want. But that's just me.

jawm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only app you can get is from Cydia, once you've jailbroken your ipad. I use it on my ipad and iphone to get some memory back.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I LIKE the ability to double click the home button to close running apps. I like having that control and the ability to "free up memory"" as needed. Then again, maybe I'm just anal.:eek:

Cheers, Dan

daffie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
System Status does this as well, pretty nice and usefull app.

OP
S

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I said it was tedious, not just inconvenient. Anything you have to do repeatedly can be tedious, any taking only a split-second makes it worse.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Windows, where switching to another open app takes one click, and closing one takes two.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I said it was tedious, not just inconvenient. Anything you have to do repeatedly can be tedious, any taking only a split-second makes it worse.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Windows, where switching to another open app takes one click, and closing one takes two.
Makes sense, and although it's not an apples to apples comparison (pun intended) the difference between switching between programs/apps in Windows and iOS is that the Windows programs continue to run in the background using energy and resources including memory, CPU, etc. and generally speaking iOS apps that aren't being used do not. That improves performance, battery life and so on. Two different ways of doing things certainly and it does take a bit of getting used to but hopefully some of the suggestions were helpful.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shawnvw said:

I agree with you. Apparently apple users here aren't aware of how efficient Windows can be. What you described is the number one thing that I dislike about the iPad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple users have had Os X for 10 years and switching allways have been fast and it is no different on a Mac running Lion and using any Macintosh Applications and with respect until windows 7 was released on a PC it was a dog.l...l. However can I remind you this is Not windows and Not Macintosh OS. When ios5 is released you can switch so much faster using swipe. One cannot compare full operating systems with either Android or iOS I have multiple apps open at same time on an ipad2 and the only time I have issues is Apps that can drain battery life as they constantly check with the Internet or anything that is GPS active. Considering on a given day I switch some 15 apps I do not see why it is an issue as as Sweet poison has stated it happens in an instant as all is memory based. yes you may have apps that hug ram but at the end of the day it is a minor problem

I should also point out that approx 40 to 50 percent of ipadforums users are PC based and they seem to adapt quite fine

Oh one more thing I have a MacBook running Mac OS Lion and windows 7 using parallels syncing 4 iPhones 2 iPads and an appleTV

Most reactions

Latest posts