What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New York Times Expands Its Free iPad App With More Content

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

PaidContent.org reports today that The New York Times is expanding its current iPad app, originally entitled Editors’ Choice, to include more content from the newspaper’s website, including breaking news, video and other types of multimedia. The NYTimes App for iPad will start off as a free app, flying in the face of the high fees charged by many of its rivals, but unfortunately it won’t stay a free app forever, as next year, when the NYTimes.com metered paywall is introduced, users will also have to start paying for the app if they want complete access.

For now though, users of the app who want to enjoy free full access to more than 25 sections of the NYT, including content from around 50 blogs, will first have to register, either by signing in with an existing NYTimes.com account or by completing the free in-app form. Unregistered users will still be able to view some limited elements of the app, such as top news stories. No word as yet as to how much a subscription to the app will cost once the NYT Media Group starts charging for it early next year, but Yasmin Namini, SVP, marketing and circulation, for the NYT Media Group told PaidContent.org that they would most likely offer both monthly and annual subscriptions.

You can download the new updated app here from today.

Source: PaidContent.Org

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I gave it a try - it's pretty good now. I don't think I'll pay for it when they stop offering it for free.

jordexj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it too... but with all the free medium available online, it would be difficult for me to carry a subscription for this... what these companies have to realize is that you have to offer a cost benefit to really intrigue potential subscribers...

Most reactions

Latest posts