What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York Times seems to confirm the Mini iPad

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
16tablet-span-articleLarge.jpeg

The host of rumors that has been circling around the Internet about the upcoming ipad-mini plans from Apple seems to have a new proponent. The New York Times jumped on the band wagon reporting that the mini iPad might come out on the market as soon as this autumn. Is Apple rushing things? The editors of NYT seem not to think so.

The fact is that the tablet race is getting more and more competitive with Google starting the shipments of the Galaxy Nexus 7 last week. This tablet comes at a cheaper price and is smaller and maybe more practical than the iPad. Also Microsoft has made public its intentions of unleashing a tablet of its own, which it has nicknamed Surface. Amazon is not wasting any time either and is already working on a different version of the Amazon Kindle which is rumored to bring a larger screen.

Bearing this in mind, it is no wonder that Apple would think of producing a cheaper device so as to not fall behind in the race. As the market for tablets is expanding sales will rise up to 85% and the iPad is a very big part of the revenue coming from all parts of the world at the Cupertino hq.

This is an obvious change of strategy. Back in 2010 late Apple boss Steve Jobs commented on the subject of a 7-inch tablet saying that it would constitute a useless device since there would not be enough room to fine tune finger movements. Apparently that dogma has changed.

By Radu

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/t...ablet-competition-with-smaller-ipad.html?_r=1

devGOD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As much as an iPad mini may sound cool, I don't see it as a fit for me. I'm more productive with my iPad. Maybe for someone who just reads or plays game a 7in would be good

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tablets can be used in many different ways. I agree that the 10-inch would be my go-to device, but there are others ways and situations where a 7-inch device is more useful. It doesn't have to be an either/or question, apart from the cost of owning more than one device.

rockerchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Tablets can be used in many different ways. I agree that the 10-inch would be my go-to device, but there are others ways and situations where a 7-inch device is more useful. It doesn't have to be an either/or question, apart from the cost of owning more than one device.

I am probably going to get one for my daughter if the price is right. I think the regular iPad would be great because I have wine but I am not wanting to spend iPad 3 money on an 11 year old.

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com
I also want a mini iPad,and the size I hope that will be 7 to 10 inches,iPad 2 and iPad 3 have a little heavy, if the price is accepted,I want to buy one,it is a good device for me to do my work!

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, I think the ten incher would be my goto oPad still, but I could see 7 inches being good for throwing in a large pocket, or small bag for "on the go" use, especially if you don't have a smart phone. If you do have a smart phone with a 4+ in. Screen, I think the 7 inch tablet would be a little unnecessary though.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree, I think the ten incher would be my goto oPad still, but I could see 7 inches being good for throwing in a large pocket, or small bag for "on the go" use, especially if you don't have a smart phone. If you do have a smart phone with a 4+ in. Screen, I think the 7 inch tablet would be a little unnecessary though.

Maybe. But I don't like 4+ inches for a phone! I like my phone the exact size of the iPhone 4S. It just goes in my pocket better.

For a tablet, the 7-inch device is really nice because if you have one in every room you can stuff the web, read, answer emails, or use as a remote control. But when I want to do work stuff, or pen some words, or drive an overhead projector with a presentation, or read a technical PDF based on an 8.5by11 inch page, I want the iPad 2012.

For some folks, they just want one thing to go to, 24/7. Because of this, they will pick a laptop if they are worked focused. If they are retired, they may pick an iPad as it does most of what a laptop does except work-related activities (which the iPad can still do a lot of). Other folks want different tools for different tasks. These folks, if they can afford it, will have a laptop, tablet, a desktop, and even more devices and will use each when and where they wish, if it fulfills the task at the moment. I'm in the latter camp.

Most reactions