What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Clear iSpot Portable Hotspot Allows iPad Access To 4G Speed

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The New Clear iSpot Portable Hotspot Allows Any iDevice Access To 4G Speed

from App Advice by Casey Tschida
Not satisfied with AT&T’s 3G network and want more than Wi-Fi? A company known as Clear has released an iDevice-specific version of their Spot portable wireless 4G hotspot products, appropriately named iSpot. The iSpot allows up to eight iDevices to connect to Clear’s nationwide 4G wireless WiMax network.
The iSpot features an 1,830 mAh internal rechargeable battery that allows about 4 to 5 hours of runtime. The device even sports an Apple look, similar to the Mighty Mouse, but a bit smaller and notably thinner. The iSpot charges via the included mini-USB cable and wall charger, which gives you a completely wireless solution. Some may wonder if they could use this with their MacBooks or other non-iOS Wi-Fi equipped devices and, well, Engadget was able to provide a little clarity beyond the basic tech specs listings.
We followed up with Clearwire regarding authenticating with the iSpot. We’re told that “the device is configured to filter based on MAC address which allows it to ID the Apple mobile devices,” which explicitly means iPhones, iPads and iPod touches only.
Let’s get down to the availability of the Clear 4G WiMax network and the service fees, as that’s what really matters. The 4G network has been deployed in 55 major markets thus far, including places like Jacksonville, Atlanta, Honolulu, St. Louis, Boise, Chicago, Kansas City, Baltimore, Las Vegas, Seattle, and Washington D.C. Feel free to check for coverage in your area using your specific address. Download performance is quoted as “up to 6Mbps” with uploads transferring at “up to 1Mbps.” The iSpot On-the-Go is a no-contract, month-to-month service plan where “users can enjoy unlimited 4G data usage for an initial low monthly service offering of $25.” We were not able to verify whether that means early adopters get an incentive or if after a set number of months the plan price will change to the standard On-the-Go plan for $40 per month.
The device is on-sale directly through Clear’s web site only until the end of today for an introductory price of $29. After that, the regular suggested retail price of $99 kicks in and the device will be available at authorized resellers.
Even though you aren’t required to sign a long term contract, it’s still a good idea to read over all of the fine print. With somewhat limited coverage and iDevice only compatibility, are you one of those to find this an option?
[via Engadget]
Related Posts

Last edited:

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be cool if they make a device like this for ppl who have the WIFI only iPad, and you can connect to a 3G or 4G network when you can't find a hot spot..

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I thought it was for ppl who had 3G and would like to have 4G, but I read closely and looks like it will work for ppl who just have wifi..

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sad thing is they won't sell it if you're not in a 4g area. I tried. Plan is only 25/mo

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Coverage is ONLY 4G for this device. I found that, although Atlanta is listed as a coverage area, only PARTS of Atlanta have 4G coverage. My suburb doesn't.

This can't be used for 4G+3G and the $25 unlimited price is "introductory".
Forget it unless you only intend to connect in the central city areas.

I could use something like this on the road, but coverage is so limited it would be useless for this.

harv2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd say for any of these things, now is the right time to stay out of contracts, whatever you do. This is a category where the technology is changing so fast that whatever you get into could put you into a dead end.

**** written by a guy with a Verizon Droid that was supposed to have tethering by now **** :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True that. I did see they have a device that is supposed to do 3G & 4G but, again, won't sell unless in 4g area. No matter, at least we have tons of wifi hotspots around so I use my ATT very little.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Give it about a year and there will be competitors out that are half the price and have no contract and cheaper monthly rates...

takodude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iSpot vs ClearSpot

Can anyone tell me if I can use the ClearSpot to connect my Ipad to the internet? I know I can use the iSpot, but I wanted to find out if I could use the ClearSpot also since I also want to connect my laptop using the same hotspot in stead of having to buy 2 hotspots (ispot and clearspot). One of the Clear employees told me I could, and another told me I couldn't. So I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Different plan. You can get one that will work only with the ipad for $25 a month or one that will work with up to 5 devices for more. Depends on the area how much. There are some promotions in areas that have new service. But around $40 a month for unlimited use. I have two (one home modem and one clear spot) and I pay $50 a month.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I travel a lot between Atlanta and Chicago for work. Both cities have a good network. I get frustrated with Atlanta because the highways aren't well covered so driving doesn't work well. but otherwise I am fairly happy with the coverage.

That being said, I wish I had gone ahead and paid the extra money for the 3G/4G hotspot when there was a deal on the plan. Because there are times when I want to use it outside of a 4G area.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks cool but of course there is no 4g coverage in Los Angeles, the biggest communications market in the freaking world!!!!

Iamking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What good is a 4G hotspot when the infrastructure isn't widely available?

+1. Had this item didnt work in my area.But clear's map show it worked in area,customer service me told also it would work.A waste time.

Most reactions