What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Most Popular iPad Model is Still the Three-and-a-half-year-old iPad 2

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
1300358445apple_ipad2_black_01.jpg

We're just a few days away from the unveiling of the newest iPads, but here's an interesting statistic to reflect upon. According to a recent report from Fiksu, the most popular iPad model is still the three-and-a-half-year-old iPad 2.

iPad sales have declined dramatically in recent quarter, and this current report is another proof for that. Here's a breakdown of the iPad models and their usage share:

1. iPad 2 - 27%
  2. iPad Mini - 21.1%
  3. iPad (4th gen.) - 16.6%
  4. iPad Air - 14.8%
  5. iPad (3rd gen.) - 11.3%
  6. iPad Mini Retina - 5.3%
  7. iPad - 3.9%

So, as we can see, the iPad 2 has more than a quarter of the total iPad usage share, which is a worrying fact for Apple. On the second position, we find the iPad Mini with slightly more than a fifth of the total usage share. The iPad 4 has almost 17% and finds itelf on the third place.

Last-year's iPad Air accounts for just 14.8%, being followed by the iPad 3 with 5.3% and the original iPad with 3.9%. However, we also need to take into account that with the iPad 4, Apple has also introduced the Mini version. Together, they have a combined share of 37.7% while last year's duo is at just 20.1%.

And this is what should worry Apple. The combined share of the iPad Air and the iPad Mini with Retina display isn't enough to beat the iPad 2. And this means that consumers don't perceive the iPads that followed after the second-generation as important upgrades. Will this year's iPad be able to change that?

Source: Fiksu

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is still going strong on IOS 8. I wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that it was sold for three years has a lot to do with its share of total iPad sales.

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 was my first iPad. I bought it in November, 2011 and still have it.
EXACTLY my situation!!:D
I bought myself an iPad 2 before "Black Friday" in 2011.....as an early Christmas gift to myself...!!:rolleyes:
It's stood the test of time better than many other electronic devices I've owned over the years....it's in a padded zipper-pouch, with a glass screen protector.....and still looks - and performs- like NEW!!
Still....it IS nearly 4 years old....and technology is moving forward RAPIDLY!! I'm hoping the newest iteration of iPads utilizes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, like the iPhone 6/+....NFC would be nice, also...although personally, the latter wouldn't serve ME all that well......I don't see myself carrying my iPad into a store and using it at the check-out to make a purchase!!o_O

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's really a matter of how much of an upgrade the 2 was versus its predecessor versus the upgrade of other generations to the next one. The 2 was such a huge improvement over the 1 where subsequent iterations weren't so much. I went from a 2 to an Air and felt the upgrade was pretty significant. However, those that went from the 3 to the 4 probably didn't feel that way as much.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3, and I'm pretty happy with it still. It has the retina display, so the display is nice. I have the old plug, the 4 came with the new lightning plug and I refused to buy a new iPad when I'd only had mine for a few months. It would be great if all my apple devices used the same plug, but oh well. My daughter still has her ipad 2, and she's still pretty content with it. Can't wait to see what's new with the next versions.

agr8fulgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 was stolen last August. I got an iPad mini to replace it but never loved it. This past May I decided to give the iPad Air a try. It's nice, but it's not my iPad 2.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there that much difference between the IPad 2 and the Air ?

Yes.
  • twice the RAM (important)
  • better screen (awesome resolution)
  • back camera, 5MP and HD video (8MP on the Air 2)
  • better front camera, HD video
  • faster CPU, for running apps (massively faster)
  • faster GPU, for graphics (more massively faster)
  • better, faster wi-fi radio
  • better, faster cellular radio (for cellular models)
  • thiner
  • lighter
  • more

You get most of this just bumping to the iPad 3, but it's a mountain of a bump going to the Air and Air 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts