What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad is just too heavy! :(

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only time I notice it being 'too heavy' was when I asked myself, "why didn't they at least put a camera in the front?" It would be pretty tiresome after awhile to hold it up towards your face for facetime chat, but then again there's always the "get a stand/case to hold it up for you" argument. But yeah that's the only time I thought I would 'complain' about the weight. I'm sorry that you're returning it because of the weight it really is a great device!

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm...? MTFU? That's my only suggestion.. Sorry ;)

Seriously though, if you're only using it to read ebooks, then buy a kindle. If you want to use it for anything else - deal with the weight. The simple fact is that you can't currently make it significantly lighter, while keeping the same screen size/battery life currently. That's just the way things are. (Tm) ;)

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too heavy?? That's just plain nuts. It is 1.5 lbs. 1.5lbs!!

Oh please, run away silly whiner.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the OP, the iPad is too heavy to hold in your hand and read for very long. I use my iPad sitting on a table/desk, never hold it in my hand like a book. Admittedly, I have small/weak wrists. If I want a book reader to hold in my hand, I would go with the lightest one available.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are used to reading paperbacks, it is probably to heavy. But I have many books which are much heavier than the iPad.

I agree try holding a Stephen King novel and you will wish you had an iPad!

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
I've seen people reading a book on an ebook reader standing at a bus stop, holding the reader in one hand. That is something you cannot do with an iPad at least not for any length of time. Sitting in an easy chair however, you just let the iPad rest on your lap so you only have to use one hand to position it, not to lift it. Just like you would do with any heavy real book.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
British GQ can be heavier than the iPad some months as well...

jaybrass73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it, the iPad is way lighter than many hardback books worthy of your time. The Kindle is OK, but very limited. My iPad is with me at all times, my wrists don't ache, for longer periods of use I use a stand ir prop it on my lap.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's primarily the cost of a 10 hour battery life, which is a negligable price to pay in my book. But I can see a problem if you're long sighted.

Just wedge it against your chest to read one handed standing up or lying down. Change hands when tired :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen people reading a book on an ebook reader standing at a bus stop, holding the reader in one hand. That is something you cannot do with an iPad at least not for any length of time. Sitting in an easy chair however, you just let the iPad rest on your lap so you only have to use one hand to position it, not to lift it. Just like you would do with any heavy real book.

This is true...I use Kindle app on my Blackberry for handheld reading, the sync devices feature is awesome. When I'm at a more leisurely spot (home, park, coffee shop) I open kindle on the iPad and pick up where I left off, it's perfect!

OP
F

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too heavy?? That's just plain nuts. It is 1.5 lbs. 1.5lbs!!

Oh please, run away silly whiner.

I appreciate the suggestions and I guess I will run away after this discussion.

Being tall, when I place it on my lap, my eyes are too far from the screen. When I place it on my chest, my head is bent over too far in order to see the screen.

If I sit at a table with it on a stand then reading becomes no fun !

Re. the Kindle, almost everyone prefers the Amazon ebook bookstore over iBooks from Apple, and since the app allows you to buy from Amazon, I think Amazon is very happy when so many people with an iPad buy ebooks from them. I would think they lose money on Kindle sales at $ 139 for the Kindle 3.

I really love my 4 year old 1 GB iPod. I walk 4 miles every day with it, it has never needed a repair. I am certainly not anti-Apple.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can a kindle be compared to an iPad?

Yep, comparing Apple and... er oranges.

It's not that difficult a comparison:

The Kindle and iPad are both capable of being ebook readers--one is very light and not backlit and b/w, the other is 3 times heavier, backlit and in color. There is a huge difference in battery life. They both can get books from Amazon by wifi.

At that point the comparison ends since the iPad can do much more than the Kindle at a higher price point.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts