What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ipad can be hacked????

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally, any computer can be 'hacked" if you don't practice "safe Internetting." The iPad is no different in this regard. It's not the device that is being "hacked" - its the signal coming out of your device as you go out to the World Wide Web.

So, be cautious when out and about and especially when on a public WiFi access point. Your best protection is a VPN service (a Virtual Private Network). Basically, a VPN makes it so your data leaves the iPad encrypted (making it harder, if not impossible, to grab that data and use it). It adds an extra layer of security.

If you don't use a VPN while in public (but you should!), then be cautious about going to any of your favorite sites, especially those that require password access because they contain sensitive data that you don't want released to others. Don't forget that this includes Mail, because your Mail app uses a password to connect to the server to get your e-mails.

When you do access those secure sites - make sure they start with httpS://, (have that "s" at the end) which signify they are secure sites. This also prevents your data from being "in the clear" and thus accessible.

Again, the key here is to be aware that your computer (including an iPad) always transmit data that can be intercepted if you don't take proper steps. And, this interception is what "hackers" work for. So, take the necessary steps and you'll make yourself a less obvious and accessible target.

</public service announcement>

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was... Both my bank account and PayPal. How? I'm not feel secure with iPad anymore. Mine is brand new iPad 3

You should be comfortable with the security your iPad3 platform offers and, in my opinion, be looking elsewhere for the reason that the credentials for 2 quite separate financial organisations were compromised in your case. Personally, it sounds like good old fashioned identity theft to me (which would have nothing to do with the iPad), but again you have my sympathies.

It's simply not feasible that hackers gained access to your device electronically and then managed to get access to the security credentials of not one, but two specific financial services utilised by you on your device. The apps don't actually work that way in the first place. A well designed app won't tend to store both your user and password information directly on the iPad. That's why you need to type your password / PIN every time you use the app. Those credentials are then checked securely by, for example, PayPal, on their own infrastructure. It is never done locally on the device. So there is no way to steal both your user details and password from the device itself. Any important data which is stored locally will be encrypted too, and jailbreaking does not get round that.

Anyhoo, sorry to hear about your bad experience, and hope you get it all sorted out, but rest assured it was not the iPad which let you down in this instance.

guitarldy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One - My question is can an IPad be compromised by connecting it up to use as a remote for a Wii system?
I recently just started doing that & suddenly some important data on my IPad (from my "Notepad" section of IPad)
are missing. Am mainly concerned coz this data had lots of stuff I would not want taken - I unfortunately have not
been able to back up IPad recently & was planning on taking it in but did not. Any way can I retrieve my missing data
without recent backup (ie, older backups) ? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should be comfortable with the security your iPad3 platform offers and, in my opinion, be looking elsewhere for the reason that the credentials for 2 quite separate financial organisations were compromised in your case.

Perhaps not completely separate.. if the user had Paypal connected to their bank account.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skull One - My question is can an IPad be compromised by connecting it up to use as a remote for a Wii system?

At present I am not aware of a single way that a bluetooth connection can subvert the iOS protection system.

I recently just started doing that & suddenly some important data on my IPad (from my "Notepad" section of IPad)
are missing. Am mainly concerned coz this data had lots of stuff I would not want taken

Notepad is a very interesting application. It can store its data standalone or be tied to any number of different services. If Notepad is tied to iCloud, Hotmail/Outlook, GMail, Yahoo, AOL or Exchange, then the data is stored both on the iOS device and the respective cloud service. If you have a second iOS device tied to that same account, then either device can edit the Notepad data and that change will reflect on the other device.

So the question is, which service was it tied to AND are there more than one iOS device tied to that account with Notepad data saving turned on?

- I unfortunately have not been able to back up IPad recently & was planning on taking it in but did not. Any way can I retrieve my missing data
without recent backup (ie, older backups) ? Thanks for the help.

At present, the only way I have ever seen to retrieve Notepad data, outside of a backup, is by using the iCloud version of data storage and hooking an email program to check the folder it is stored in (thru IMAP) and storing that data in another folder as a version history. This is not easy to setup (took me about 3 hours) and it was such a pain to maintain, I finally turned it off.

Most reactions

Latest posts