What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The haters....my 2¢

OP
LMControl

LMControl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How hard is flash to do? I mean, who in their right mind would say "here's a computer to surf the net, but it can't do flash." Which, btw, is what most of the awesome part of the web is. That and content.

People, we need to get past this whole Flash obsession. It is bloatware forged in the early days of pre-Internet bubble hysteria.

HTML5 is the future, one devoid of plugin based, software add-ons (Flash, MS Silverlight, etc..) that requires downloads, updates, version incompatibilities and like.

Apple knows that including Flash will not only kill the battery life of mobile devices, but further entrench users into a closed system that depends on constant updates to maintain basic capabilities.

Not to mention, millions and millions of iPhone users around the world get along without it just fine, everyday. The lack of flash obviously hasn't hampered sales.

Apple is smart to not saddle their new technology with bloated, outdated, legacy software that has no future.

roracle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How hard is flash to do? I mean, who in their right mind would say "here's a computer to surf the net, but it can't do flash." Which, btw, is what most of the awesome part of the web is. That and content.

People, we need to get past this whole Flash obsession. It is bloatware forged in the early days of pre-Internet bubble hysteria.

HTML5 is the future, one devoid of plugin based, software add-ons (Flash, MS Silverlight, etc..) that requires downloads, updates, version incompatibilities and like.

Apple knows that including Flash will not only kill the battery life of mobile devices, but further entrench users into a closed system that depends on constant updates to maintain basic capabilities.

Not to mention, millions and millions of iPhone users around the world get along without it just fine, everyday. The lack of flash obviously hasn't hampered sales.

Apple is smart to not saddle their new technology with bloated, outdated, legacy software that has no future.

Fair enough.

However, let's remember that old bloated technologies are still in use all over the place (Windows...IE...etc.) yet are still a major focus of the internet market. Thanks to IE6, the internet has been kind of standing still in terms of page compatibility because of this ancient beast.

Though it would kill battery life, it's still there. Much like how political parties have to deal with each other, so too should Apple just deal with Flash. That is, until it dies out. Until then, it's way too big.

roracle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@roracle

I was very disappointed when I found out the iPad will not be released with a front facing camera. I can see how having iChat on the tablet would be just a killer feature.

However, when I think about it.. I have a webcam on my iMac and MacBook Pro that I rarely use.

So a cool feature for sure, but not really required for what I intend to use the tablet for.

Do not be mislead by the misuse of your webcams. It would be far more efficient if webcam chatting was more centralized and less fractured for sure, but also, cam chat on-the-go is far more logical than camming in your boxers on your computer.

It isn't that video chatting never caught on, it's that developers never caught on to video chatting. It hasn't been a focus because of it's bandwidth requirements, but with the 4G WiMax initiative it will be more feasible and more accessible. A simple, easy to use, OPEN SOURCE video chat software would be the best bet for the general population.

kbregnar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Everything does the same thing, this just does it easier and better. "

Really, put down the apple fan boy sauce and get serious about what you just said. I am not a hater. I am a stock holder and I am frustrated when I see releases of crap like this product with a feminine hygeine product name come to the market that does nothing to change the way we work and play. Frankly, I would still be lugging around my laptop bag to carry this thing around. The amount of storage is shameful, the lack of flash support terrible. The price when you count all of the bells and whistles and subscription service for your wifi and GPS is just way too much for my budget.

Do people realize that they are now paying for their internet connection 3 times over when you count your iPhone, your home network and your new iPad? I have been looking for ways to chuck things that are redundant. This would only make my pile of junk higher.

Honestly, Apple needs to think more creatively than this.

Ninja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally agree, I honestly think people have got the wrong idea of what this device is suppose to be. It wasn't designed to be a computer, if that were the case, then I'm sure it would have been a computer. However, it is what it is, an Ipad, like a notepad for those of us that can use something like this. Maybe next year, Apple will feel the need to introduce to the table another computer like device for the ones out there that was expecting another computer. So just hold on and be patient with Mac, we all know that the electronic industry never sleeps, there is always something new before the new devices we have even gets old. :p

If all it is supposed to be is a glorified book reader then it is WAAAAAAY overpriced and misrepresented to the public.

It falls very far short of being a useful device to carry around all the time in my view. I would much rather have an updated netbook of some sort than this piece of jewelry.

Steve lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

Ninja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patient? Are you kidding. There are products out or coming out that are cheaper and have a ton more features.
I think this looks promising.
Notion Ink Adam hands-on - SlashGear
HDMI, Multitasking, usb, replaceable battery, wifi, eg, and a few other trinkets. Depending on price this seems like the way to go. It's what everyone wanted the ipad to be.

I sure hope so as it is certain that I will not be purchasing an iPad.

Steve Lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

Reaction score
I see the tunnel visioned fruitcakes have arrived. Quite why you'd join an ipad forum is a little odd?

Lets hope we have some sensible anti-troll measures here.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we'll leave this thread open to keep it contained in here only :)

roracle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlemen and gentleladies, I feel we should re-evaluate what we have come to this forum for. This is not a place to argue, but to discuss. This device is lacking many features, indeed, but it is because of this site the product will eventually become more usable.

Any business out of the USA realizes that our democratic process has worked, and worked well. Because of this, our voices are looked upon as reasonable and worthwhile by those businesses we subscribe to. Apple is not any different. I feel the need to talk about these issues we face with this product, not because of disappointment, but because I know it will make the iPad a better device in the future.

Yes, disappointment is the driving force behind my being here, but I will not use it as a soap box for hate-mongering. I suggest everyone else take this stance as well. If Apple does not deliver, then they have lost my business. If they do, they will gain my business. I've had six Apple products over time (three computers and three iPods) and they have always been good products.

I am not going to call anyone out here, as that would be discouraging for the constituents of this site. Just remember, you wouldn't go to a live forum and complain in such a rash way. Just because we are on the internet does not mean your voice is less listened to, so mind your tongues, everyone. Again, this is for posterity, not for venting.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gentlemen and gentleladies, I feel we should re-evaluate what we have come to this forum for. This is not a place to argue, but to discuss. This device is lacking many features, indeed, but it is because of this site the product will eventually become more usable.

Any business out of the USA realizes that our democratic process has worked, and worked well. Because of this, our voices are looked upon as reasonable and worthwhile by those businesses we subscribe to. Apple is not any different. I feel the need to talk about these issues we face with this product, not because of disappointment, but because I know it will make the iPad a better device in the future.

Yes, disappointment is the driving force behind my being here, but I will not use it as a soap box for hate-mongering. I suggest everyone else take this stance as well. If Apple does not deliver, then they have lost my business. If they do, they will gain my business. I've had six Apple products over time (three computers and three iPods) and they have always been good products.

I am not going to call anyone out here, as that would be discouraging for the constituents of this site. Just remember, you wouldn't go to a live forum and complain in such a rash way. Just because we are on the internet does not mean your voice is less listened to, so mind your tongues, everyone. Again, this is for posterity, not for venting.

Agreed. But, unfortunatly if theres people with differnt points of view and they believe in that as with all there will. Theres bound to be an arguement.

JimMariner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with "roracle"

Those who want to make this an iHate forum. Why not keep it nice and friendly. If you have no interest in the iPad, go elsewhere where your comments will be welcomed. HERE, if I had my way, hateful comments like the previous ones would not be tolerated. It really isn't constructive.

We all see the current limitations of the iPad. But it is still a very viable device. Nothing is great right out of the gate. It takes user input to make an item better. The iPad is shaping up to be a great device. I can see it only getting better !!!! I know it is on my shopping list of Tech items to watch.

This is not a place for starting fights. It is a place of information, and members helping members. If you can't live up to that, just find a different place to go. Leave the members here to enjoy their new iPads. Or their dreams of getting one soon.

kbregnar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look, I joined this forum so that I could learn more about the product. I have read everything there is to read about it. I have had been a long time fan and purchaser of apple products as well as MSFT other third party products. I put my money to the product or device that meets my needs the most.

I have been intrigued by this new tweener device. It is bigger than an iPhone and smaller than a netbook. I was simply surprised that it carried such a small set of features.

So, my secret hope is that my lack of interest in the product and reasons for my lack of interest will be read by the product developers at Apple and they will take the advice.

I certainly will be paying attention to what people end up doing with it and heck, who knows.... maybe I will convinced to open my wallet for this device some where down the road if someone can convince me that it can do something that I can't already do with my numerous other expensive devices that I carry around. Always connected has become an understatement in my life.

My apologies to anyone if I offended and sorry if I was too harsh in my commentary earlier.

JimMariner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is the case, Maybe I misjudged the critical poster. My Apologies.

I hope you will enjoy your time here as I expect to.

We all want the same thing, information. And this place here, is looking to be the place. As it grows, I am sure it will be rocking here in no time.

Last edited:

Ninja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I joined to discuss this device, although the more I have learned about it the less I like it. Perhaps, just perhaps, some of the Apple people who monitor websites such as this will report back to Steve what people don't like and what they want to be included in future revisions or future products.

For those who accuse others of being hate mongers, step away from the reality distortion field. It is warping your minds. I have not seen anything remotely approaching "hate". The main discussion is about disappointment in the product and/or its capabilities which, I think, are fair comment.

If you believe any criticism of an Apple product is "hate", I suggest you go look in a mirror.

Steve lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

roracle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never accused anyone of hate-mongering, I simply stated that I wasn't doing it. I think I was doing my best to address a problem before it got too big. Not really my place, but I've been using forums a very long time, as I am sure others here have. Caution should always be taken as these sorts of talks go on.

In this, I do not feel as if anyone was out of line. Yet the flow of the passion in this thread was getting a little intense, which provoked me to put in my own 2¢ about such things. No harm was meant, and I am sure I did my best to not finger point (as no one did anything worth pointing to them for).

Most reactions