What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Anything Goes" thread

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Don't be so pessimistic. That's the whole point my teacher was trying to make; it's when we doubt our ability to solve the problems that we start getting into trouble. Life is better now than it was at any time in the past. When I was a kid I knew several kids who had polio and who caught diphtheria - who worries about that now? When was the last time you thought about catching a fatal disease? Probably not for quite a time.

When I was a kid too there was a very real danger of nuclear war - but who worries about that now?

Things are better now than they have ever been and they will continue to get better - believe it and don't have any doubt in our ability.

To me it's the electronics revolution that is powering the future. I tell my students that (not quite, but nearly) we can put an almost infinite amount of computational capacity onto a silicon chip, it will consume almost zero power and we can make it for nearly nothing.

So if I give my students a signal processing problem I say to them - don't tell me the technology can't do it, if you tell me you can't do it it's your problem not that of the technology. I can't think of another branch of engineering where you can say that. If I asked you to build a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean you'd quite rightly tell me that it was impossible - technically impossible. But you give me any signal processing problem, any communications problem - if I'm forced to admit defeat it's my limited intellectual capacity that's the issue, not the technology. Basically we can achieve anything we want.

Tim

You make valid points Tim, and we could hear of an physics breakthrough tomorrow that enables mankind to escape the confines of his Solar System. It contravenes the present paradigm, but who says that it could not happen? As far as technology is concerned, of course computers will get faster, smaller more powerful. My argument is based on what we know now, the mathematical formulae that dictate or current situation.

As I said before, I hope more and more confines are proved to be overcome, more exploration does take place, and that ultimately, the human race ventures far beyond this tiny portion of infinity.

Call it a draw?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Amy0x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
robertlc said:
The space stuff is interesting as I've been following it all my life and at one point worked as a contractor for NASA, writing their news releases and meeting astronauts.

There's something in this thread for everyone!

How are you doing Amy? Catch us up on you.

What would you like to know?
Finally fiancé has gone to work, now I can iPad for a while hehe :)

Amy0x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vintage90 said:
You make valid points Tim, and we could hear of an physics breakthrough tomorrow that enables mankind to escape the confines of his Solar System. It contravenes the present paradigm, but who says that it could not happen? As far as technology is concerned, of course computers will get faster, smaller more powerful. My argument is based on what we know now, the mathematical formulae that dictate or current situation.

As I said before, I hope more and more confines are proved to be overcome, more exploration does take place, and that ultimately, the human race ventures far beyond this tiny portion of infinity.

Call it a draw?

What if the world had done it before? Like I know the earth is ancient but what if the earth does end, and start again? And we are following the cycle again? ;)
Sorry I am a big philosophy geek ;)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, this is gripping stuff, I feel like I'm back at school with all my science teachers! We talk about this sort of thing all the time, I've been to one of the space centres, Kennedy I think, those space crafts were fantastic. I had some of that space ball ice-cream and saw the command centre which was amazing. We saw one of the shuttles being moved from it's building to a launch pad, it moves very slowly due to the expensive equipment and weight of the shuttle. It was really beautiful scenery too. I was awed by the vast area it took up and amazed that that little pod could land on the moon and take off again. I'm a big science fiction geek so I love all this stuff. I couldn't go into all the technical side like you boys but I can follow it and enjoy your discussion. Great thread Bob. I've emptied my inbox now.

Hello Amy, how is your game going. I've only just got back from the vets for post op checkup for Samson my cat,

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amy0x said:
What if the world had done it before? Like I know the earth is ancient but what if the earth does end, and start again? And we are following the cycle again? ;)
Sorry I am a big philosophy geek ;)

Philosophy? I did one module for fun, anything is possible with it, fun, but I prefer science :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, he's missing Delilah, I think! He keeps looking everywhere for her. First night home, we didn't see him at all but he finally came out at teatime. He's looking good, gums are pink, a few red spots but he's okay! Hubby's cat really, but I'm hoping he will come out of himself with Delilah not around dominating our attention, still miss her though! Star, my pom, is real good, fastest recovery in record. He's barking at the cats again.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love the space talk. Many years back wife & I spent a week in Florida. The visit to the Space Center was a highlight. Folk on the coach seemed to be more excited seeing a "gator" than getting to the centre. You need to visit to appreciate the sheer scale of things. The IMAX film was worthwhile

Has anyone seen Wheelock's photos on Twitter or on the NASA site?

Amy0x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hayles66 said:
Oh, he's missing Delilah, I think! He keeps looking everywhere for her. First night home, we didn't see him at all but he finally came out at teatime. He's looking good, gums are pink, a few red spots but he's okay! Hubby's cat really, but I'm hoping he will come out of himself with Delilah not around dominating our attention, still miss her though! Star, my pom, is real good, fastest recovery in record. He's barking at the cats again.

Awww bless, in think sometimes we forget that kitty's miss other kitty's too! Kira is currently snoozing on the window sill and occasionally looks up to scowl at me hehe... Shes my moody little princess :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You gotta love them! I've got to go, I'm afraid, so speak to you much later, hospital visit.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amy have you done the horror movies one yet? Can you give me clues for 13, 26, 27,28, 29, 33 and 50 lol

Amy0x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
addiosamigo said:
Amy have you done the horror movies one yet? Can you give me clues for 13, 26, 27,28, 29, 33 and 50 lol

Are those the only ones you have left? I have only done 50 out of those... Think of someone who wants a ride :)

Let's work the squirrel in the tree one out together! It's bothering me!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh tell me about it! I have left 5, 12, 13, 21, 27, 29, 32, 35, 38, and 45!

The squirrel in the tree? Hmmm screaming squirrel, screaming squirrel in a tree..

I think we should get at least 1 hint per question!

Oh I got 50, I cheated a bit tho, got a hint then google the hint..

Most reactions

Latest posts