What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That sound you hear is my iPad crashing

wjb216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Took some bad advice from this forum. I was told that Apple would not allow apps in the App Store that, by design, will crash the original iPad. Right! It's not memory! I've got plenty of that. What crashes are apps that are heavy into graphics, like my Popular Science subscription, and even the old reliable Weather Channel app when I put the weather map in motion. My uneducated guess is that these apps need a duel core chip to work properly. What ever the problem, Apple insists on telling us via the App Store, that there is an update we should download. We shouldn't! Either Apple doesn't bother to test these apps on the original iPad or doesn't give a rat's ... Now, I'm talking about an iPad that's less then two years old and still under AppleCare that Apple has orphaned, i.e. no longer supports, and pushes app upgrades that will render the original iPad useless.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't trust Apple to rule out apps that might crash an iPad 1 or 2. Apple doesn't do that kind of testing, nor would I expect it to.

The key prob with iPad 1, and increasingly iPad 2, is not enough RAM. And continuing app upgrades will further highlight that, because developers are going to increasingly build and update apps to take advantage of the latest firmware and hardware. That's the nature of tech.

For owners of older hardware, it's probably safer now not to upgrade if an app is working fine, unless there are new features worth risking the functionality of an app altogether. When in doubt, let other people be guinea pigs, and upgrade only if you see reviews that indicate things work OK with your model of older iPad.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works fine on iPad1

My iPad 1 works fine on all the apps you mention, and many more graphic intensive apps. Try a hard reset, hold the "Power" and "Home" buttons till the Apple icon appears, then release buttons and wait for it to reboot. Try your apps again. To save some memory, be sure to go to the Task bar and stop any other apps that may be running. If this doesn't work try going into iTunes and un-checking the offending apps and then sync, after you sync, re-check the apps and re-sync, this will reload them, they may be corrupt for some reason.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Took some bad advice from this forum. I was told that Apple would not allow apps in the App Store that, by design, will crash the original iPad. Right! It's not memory! I've got plenty of that. What crashes are apps that are heavy into graphics, like my Popular Science subscription, and even the old reliable Weather Channel app when I put the weather map in motion. My uneducated guess is that these apps need a duel core chip to work properly. What ever the problem, Apple insists on telling us via the App Store, that there is an update we should download. We shouldn't! Either Apple doesn't bother to test these apps on the original iPad or doesn't give a rat's ... Now, I'm talking about an iPad that's less then two years old and still under AppleCare that Apple has orphaned, i.e. no longer supports, and pushes app upgrades that will render the original iPad useless.

I had apps crash on my iPad 3. The state of software on a device like an iPad is a fluid thing, changing all the time and you use different apps, opening/closing, etc. And sometimes apps have conditions that cause them to crash. Apple can't determine all those states. No one can guarantee that apps won't crash...that's why updates are released from time to time. if you have crashy apps you should contact the app developer and let them know what device you are using and what the situation was that lead to the crash.

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay has it exactly right. With only 256 MB RAM you have to close out all other apps if you want to run the newest app upgrades. Games that worked flawlessly before stutter when I upgraded. But just ignore the upgrade notices I'd it says the upgrade is to work better with OS 6 or retina display. Even though we can not use OS6 those apps are now designed for the new memory (ram) management system. With a little careful extra steps and never upgrading apps that work your IPAD 1 will work great. I sympathize since I learned this too late foe some games and magazines. Hard to really be mad though since apple did give free OS upgrades and Microsoft never upgraded me from XP or VISTA. With Steve jobs dead Apple is no longer going to keep us updated or functional but adopt window forced obsolesce plan
Now we jus need some clever hacker to figure out how add external RAM thru the charger connector with a jailbreak tweak
Beyond my skill set.
Charm

Most reactions

Latest posts