What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original iPad constantly crashing. Want to completely re-install OS.

Armchair Bronco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original iPad has been constantly crashing. I'm using iOS 5.0. I was at the Apple Store recently on another matter and the Genius there said I should re-install the OS from scratch but *not* do a restore. She said I should do everything manually, including re-installing all apps by hand. And only then should I restore data from the cloud. Just want to confirm that I understood her correctly. Is this the correct way to proceed? If so, what's the outline of steps to take?

OP
A

Armchair Bronco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW: I also have a MacMini that I used for backing up the iPad to the cloud. I'm currently backing up everything (apps + data). Then, my plan is nuke everything on the iPad, put on the latest iOS 5.1 and then one-by-one restore all the apps I've paid for and actually use. (This will be a great opportunity to get rid of all those apps I've only used once or twice.)

When that's done, I'm hoping that I can just restore the data (app data, PDF books, photos, etc.) that was saved to the cloud.

For reinstalling the OS, what's the best approach? iTunes has a "restore" option. And I think the iPad itself has a "wipe" feature in Settings somewhere. How should I do step #1.

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you cannot reinstall the OS without restoring

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A wipe of the ipad will not reinstall the OS. U must do a DFU Restore in iTunes. gets you fresh firmware

OP
A

Armchair Bronco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A wipe of the ipad will not reinstall the OS. U must do a DFU Restore in iTunes. gets you fresh firmware

The "restore" I meant is the "restore" button under "Version" in iTunes that reads: "If you are experiencing problems with your iPad, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore". Is this the DFU Restore you're referring to?

EDIT: Just read up on DFU, which is NOT the same thing I described above. I'm thinking I should try the iTunes "restore" first, to revert to factory settings, then upgrade to iOS 5.1 (or whatever) and then see if the problems persist. If they do, then a DFU may be in order.

Last edited:

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DFU restore puts u back to factory settings AND installs a clean firmware file AND installs the latest ios. this usually will solve a problem. a regular restore and then a DFU restore would make no sense whatsoever

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 was crashing a lot on iOS 5 and 5.0.1. I updated to iOS 5.1 and have very few crashes since. I just did a straight OTA update -- no wiping anything.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Armchair Bronco said:
My original iPad has been constantly crashing. I'm using iOS 5.0. I was at the Apple Store recently on another matter and the Genius there said I should re-install the OS from scratch but *not* do a restore. She said I should do everything manually, including re-installing all apps by hand. And only then should I restore data from the cloud. Just want to confirm that I understood her correctly. Is this the correct way to proceed? If so, what's the outline of steps to take?

I think she may be thinking your backup is corrupted somehow and that's why a manual restore......if I may a few words first...
I feel you may be having a ram issue with your iPad. The original iPad has 256mb ram an ipad2 512mb and the new iPad has 1 gb. All apps use ram to operate and as apps and sites are only getting larger the iPad 1 is starting to show its limited ram.

With the upgrade to 5.0 members reported apps and safari crashing more often on ipad1 this however was alleviated with the update to 5.1 as Kaykaykay has said. So updating would be a good idea here, or is there a reason why you haven't? There are other steps you can take to minimize this happening also. Look at your location services, do you have many of these running as they all use ram, so minimize these to only the apps you are using now. Closing your apps completely can save you a lot of ram.
From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press all these minus signs, this will close the apps not delete them, now press the home button to return to your screen. I close all my apps every night, if you use a lot of apps, close them more regularly.

Now to Safari which can use a lot of ram depending on the sites visited and also keeps bits of data from all these sites. Go into your Safari Settings and clear out your cookies and delete your history. If you would like to get an idea of how many sites you've been to, go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites, as you can see that adds up and this is what is deleted when clearing your Cookies.

After doing all that I would suggest a restart. Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly.

All these steps will free up ram on your iPad and this should then minimize the likelihood of crashes. I would suggest giving this a try first before doing a restore.....hope it helps you.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found leelais's advice to be exactly correct for my Ipad 1. I had had it since the beginning and pushed it beyond really what it should have been able to do LOL but with watching things it did okay. When I got my Ipad 3 I wiped it clean, reinstalled a very very limiter amount of apps (almost all music which I had had relegated to my aging Touch) and it will continue to be very useful. But I really do believe that 3rd party app developers took the One way beyond what the engineers imagined for it and we expected it to handle everything.

Tsakiyama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great help... Clear, step by step, and the memory issue on iPad 1 seems to be the issue. Thank you

Most reactions

Latest posts