What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can using certain apps. They are usually free and you sign up for an account where they assign you a phone number for texting.

I use TextNow. Works well.

This may be a dumb question, but when you send a text using that app (or a similar one) from your iPad to someone's phone, are they charged for data or is it treated like a regular text?

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most texting apps are free when sending texts from the iPad to a phone, but cost extra when someone replies to your iPad, unless they have unlimited texts.

Thanks for the quick response! I assume you mean it would cost the sender to your iPad a text charge, not a data charge, correct?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it would cost them the standard rate to send a text unless they have unlimited text.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deckyon said:
you can using certain apps. They are usually free and you sign up for an account where they assign you a phone number for texting.

I use TextNow. Works well.

Is textnow still a good texting app and does it use your stock contact app as well?

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
Is textnow still a good texting app and does it use your stock contact app as well?

I like the layout of text now, but for some reason when I send a pic with the text it never goes. Works fine with text free though.

greasemuntney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use textnow and it works pretty well. It also gives you a address that you can send text to like= [email protected] the ? marks will be the user name you sign up with.

And yes pictures go through just take a while and GIFs do not come through for some reason.

debbied88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use text free with voice. I am not an expert in texting but I am happy with the texts and I can send photos.

Most reactions