What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text sharpness inconsistent

Mike40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, new iPad 3 owner here.

I have had my iPad for around 3 weeks and have been enjoying the retina display's sharpness and clarity for reading books very much so.
As of late though I have begun increasingly to notice that text down the middle of the screen whilst in portrait mode appears much clearer than at the sides.
I'm not using a screen protector and ensure the screen is clean of fingerprints before each reading session by using a microfibre cloth.
It's not night and day difference but now I've noticed it, it keeps grabbing my attention.
Words at the sides of the screen look smudgey and greyish compared to crisply defined text in the centre that practically jump out from the screen.
I don't know if this is within Apples tolerances for screen quality control etc.
I feel quite disappointed now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is not typical.

Take it to an Apple Store (if you can) and show it to them. If they agree you will probably get a replacement.

OP
M

Mike40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately where I live in the UK I am very far from an Apple Store.
I can but try to explain to them, where I bought it from, but don't expect them to be as understanding as I am lead to believe the Apple Store staff are.
Thanks again for the reply as I couldn't compare this problem with another iPad in person.

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try explaining your rights as an Apple user or customer... And besides you still have the warranty.

OP
M

Mike40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the added input AllenSalar. This was something I had overlooked.

OP
M

Mike40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it didn't go well asking for an exchange. The shop staff basically all ganged up on me saying they couldn't see the problem I was trying to explain and were all implying I was some kind of crazy. Not to mention the uneven backlighting, but I won't even go there. After all, this was my first experience of buying an Apple product and I must confess I've been put off 'For Life'. I should never have been subjected to this kind of treatment. For me personally, the quality of the screen does not even come close to the advertising hype of it. I have not got what I thought I paid for and might just be in an unlucky minority but there was a lapse in QC on my unit and I'm out of pocket £500 simply because I cannot use it for reading without being distracted by inconsistent blurry text. It is unacceptable for me. I got no refund either btw.
I apologise sincerely if I am sounding negative.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind your customer service, so far, has not been through Apple. Try giving them a call and see what they can do for you over the phone.

Most reactions