What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering iPhone 4 or Android to iPad 2

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To tether means to use the phone with a cord directly hooked up to your iPad.

This is not what tethering means in this context. There is no cord involved. You're just sharing an Internet connection, wirelessly. That's the "wi" in "wifi."

Last edited:

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
This is not what tethering means in this context. There is no cord involved. You're just sharing an Internet connection, wirelessly. That's the "wi" in "wifi."

Read my entire post. I was educating the poster. To many people get them confused. We are in agreement here.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read my entire post. I was educating the poster. To many people get them confused. We are in agreement here.

Yup, did read your entire post.

No cord needed to tether. Suggest we make that clear to avoid confusing newbies.

Dotdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I'm a new user of iPad and just want to share some info about tethering.
I have a iPad with wifi. I have a droid by Motorola and to tether it I just Bluetooth the two together and I'm using the droid to surf the net. Hope this helps.

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most, if not all UK providers don't charge for tethering now. As there is a personal hotspot feature in all iPhones running IOS5, then as long as you have a decent size data package it's not a problem.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found this info on Wikipedia:

Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices. This sharing can be offered over a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), Bluetooth, or by physical connection using a cable. In the case of tethering over wireless LAN, the feature may be branded as a mobile hotspot. The Internet-connected mobile phone acts as a portable router when providing tethering services to others.
Many mobile phones are equipped with software to offer tethered Internet access. The operating systems Windows Phone 7 (built-in starting from version 7.5 Mango), Android, (starting from version 2.2 Froyo), and iOS (only after jailbreak or running iOS 4.3 or higher on iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s without jailbreak) support this.[1] This feature, on the devices bonded to some operators, was available before, but now this feature has been disabled and can be reenabled only by 'rooting' devices and using the Linux iptables application.[2]
Android devices offer tethered Internet access even with the latest version, Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Some operators however asked Google or any mobile producer using Android to remove this service. [3]
Tethering is available as a downloadable "wifi hotspot" application on most Symbian mobile phones [4] as well as on the MeeGo platform. [5]

I love my tmobile service because they don't charge me for doing this. I hardly ever need to because I'm around wifi at most places I use my iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found this info on Wikipedia:

Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices. This sharing can be offered over a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), Bluetooth, or by physical connection using a cable. In the case of tethering over wireless LAN, the feature may be branded as a mobile hotspot. The Internet-connected mobile phone acts as a portable router when providing tethering services to others.
Many mobile phones are equipped with software to offer tethered Internet access. The operating systems Windows Phone 7 (built-in starting from version 7.5 Mango), Android, (starting from version 2.2 Froyo), and iOS (only after jailbreak or running iOS 4.3 or higher on iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s without jailbreak) support this.[1] This feature, on the devices bonded to some operators, was available before, but now this feature has been disabled and can be reenabled only by 'rooting' devices and using the Linux iptables application.[2]
Android devices offer tethered Internet access even with the latest version, Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Some operators however asked Google or any mobile producer using Android to remove this service. [3]
Tethering is available as a downloadable "wifi hotspot" application on most Symbian mobile phones [4] as well as on the MeeGo platform. [5]

I love my tmobile service because they don't charge me for doing this. I hardly ever need to because I'm around wifi at most places I use my iPad.

We're specifically talking about tethering an iPad with an iPhone or Android phone here. Why would someone tether with a cord when the iPad has no USB plug, but it does support wifi and Bluetooth?

make2012better

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very confuse , may I know it is possible to set my iphone3s with ios5 to allow my iPad 1 to access internet ? If yes can share with me how ?

As I aware iphone 3S have personal hotspot , it does not have wifi hot spot.

When I try connect using blue tooth I found that it cannot pair .

Hope some one can share with me.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=2.990898,101.529935

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to use Bluetooth to connect. Keep trying- it will pair eventually.

madmomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have same phone IPad2 all I get is not recognised? I'm with Orange does the phone provider make a difference?

make2012better

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try reset your network ? From setting , network, Cellular data network , reset setting .

AtomHeartMother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got an ipad2 after discovering I could bluetooth tether my friends ipad2 to my droidx2 phone with verizon. So far it's worked with the droid X, Droid 2 and Droid x2 all running 2.3.4. This connection uses your existing data plan. No mods or roots are required. VERY nice having internet on my ipad2 anywhere I have 3g service. Oh, it's the wifi only ipad2...

Most reactions

Latest posts