What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technology burn out.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it getting just too much? Even though I do not subscribe to any social media, (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) I often feel overloaded and wish to return the analog age. In the past, if I was fortunate enough to meet a very knowledgeable person, I would sit with them for hours and learn and learn and learn. The fascination would stay with me for months and years. Now there is no need to talk to anyone, just Google it. Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone and have them interrupt you by fact-checking what you just said? I feel it's like they don't really even want to know the facts, it's just a thoughtless dick move that they do.

Sorry for the rant.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Modern technology has affected how we interact with others and not always for the better.

OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lanny,
I want to do that too but I can't because everyone pulls out their phone, everyone. I am the type of person that always keeps my phone in my pocket. I think that it is rude when you meet someone at a cafe or restaurant and the first thing you do is put the phone face up on the table. This is basically showing your guest that they are not as important as your phone notifications.

Back in the 80s, some friends used to wonder how come they would call my house and get a busy signal and asked why my family didn't have Call Wating. It was because my parents thought it was rude.

Last edited:

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I have some lasting real friendships BECAUSE of technology. I would never have these friendships if I hadn’t “met “ them via the internet first . I don’t do social media, but do belong to a couple of forums. I happen to LOVE the 21st century, and don’t want to go back. I have fascinating physical conversations all the time, as well as in cyber space. I do a lot of my sales, and receive commissions, and payments on the net as well.... L

OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can respect that. I have made some friends through the internet too, considering I have been on it since the mid-90s. My best friends are still people I met in real life and through work though. I'm not burned out about people, I am burned out because of tech and news overload.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
My best non local freind was a gentleman I met on the internet, via a forum. He lives in Oregon, and I am in Kentucky. He flies down here every Labor Day weekend, and we drive down to Atlanta for DragonCon. He’s a writer, I’m an illustrator, and we share my sales booth. An opportunity that I wouldn’t have without the internet ! Otherwise there are some people who I would love to see lose their phone for a while, just so I can have a freaking conversation for once!

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose I could just toss my iPhone and iPad into a recycle bin somewhere, but....I won't. I need them. They are a part of my life now.

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as crucially, I think technology affects out work life balance. Because we can check our emails on our phones, during the evening, weekends etc. we're expected it reply or deal with an "urgent" issue, which to be frank isn't so urgent that it couldnt wait til monday.

I find myself doing work stuff on my laptop at 9pm on a Saturday. Socially it's not so bad, I'm a lot more mature now and dont have those types of friends who are mad into social media. I'm a dad now, most of my friends are parents so we are all aware of the dangers of social media because we're fighting our kids off of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts