What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TeamViewer

jimbo1mcm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've started researching TeamViewer and it seems to be a good program to use to access your computer, Mac or Windows, from your mobile device. I sent an email to the company today asking if it would work with Ipad and they said, although they couldn't test it on the Ipad yet, their developers seemed to think it would. This program has gotten some very good reviews. Anyone use it on other mobile devices?

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use teamviewer on my Mac @ home (to see my PC @ work) and on my netbook. I really love the program. I would love for an APP to come out for this.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use teamviewer on my Mac @ home (to see my PC @ work) and on my netbook. I really love the program. I would love for an APP to come out for this.

There is one...thats what he was talking about.

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I worked with the app on my iPhone. Way to small to do much except in an emergency. I however think it would work well on the larger screen of the iPad. Just another reason I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not used TeamViewer but I regularly use iTeleport in a local WiFi network situation. I have not tried running remote session over the wider internet through a SSH connection.

I also have RemoteTap which needs some serious work before it becomes really as viable as iTeleport.

Mac OSX has a built in VNC screen sharing service. I don't think Windows does, which is likely a good thing for all.

I'll give TeamViewer a try now, however one thing I really like about iTeleport is its option for both a tap mouse and a standard mouse (the mouse stays on screen and you can drag it around like a track pad). That track pad style mouse helps take out a great deal of inaccuracy when doing fine manipulation.

I totally agree, bigger screen on iPad will be better for all remote PC viewing/control programs.

*edit*

Okay for the free version its not to bad...

Has the track pad like mouse control by default which is a plus. Zoom button seems redundant until you realize the pinch zoom is sluggish and inaccurate. No multi-monitor support, requires switching in the settings (shake iPod for quick switch, guess its okay as a bandwidth saving tactic). Keyboard is interesting and auto adjusts to rotation, they could have picked a better keyboard close icon which looks like the eject button on a Mac (not smart). Removes the background of the monitor you're primary viewing (on mac) and replaces it with flat blue (a good bandwidth saving technique for other remote control program use, although possibly annoying from an esthetics sense).

I need to test more on pushing the connection speeds and run iTeleport under the same encryption. Then again for a non-commercial use free program TeamViewer isn't to bad for basic uses.

My main test for most remote control iPod/iPhone apps is how well they transmit and render while Flash videos (singular) are running. Aside from the control feel it's a good test of both connection speeds and rendering ability at a very high level.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not used TeamViewer but I regularly use iTeleport in a local WiFi network situation. I have not tried running remote session over the wider internet through a SSH connection.

I also have RemoteTap which needs some serious work before it becomes really as viable as iTeleport.

Mac OSX has a built in VNC screen sharing service. I don't think Windows does, which is likely a good thing for all.

I'll give TeamViewer a try now, however one thing I really like about iTeleport is its option for both a tap mouse and a standard mouse (the mouse stays on screen and you can drag it around like a track pad). That track pad style mouse helps take out a great deal of inaccuracy when doing fine manipulation.

I totally agree, bigger screen on iPad will be better for all remote PC viewing/control programs.

*edit*

Okay for the free version its not to bad...

Has the track pad like mouse control by default which is a plus. Zoom button seems redundant until you realize the pinch zoom is sluggish and inaccurate. No multi-monitor support, requires switching in the settings (shake iPod for quick switch, guess its okay as a bandwidth saving tactic). Keyboard is interesting and auto adjusts to rotation, they could have picked a better keyboard close icon which looks like the eject button on a Mac (not smart). Removes the background of the monitor you're primary viewing (on mac) and replaces it with flat blue (a good bandwidth saving technique for other remote control program use, although possibly annoying from an esthetics sense).

I need to test more on pushing the connection speeds and run iTeleport under the same encryption. Then again for a non-commercial use free program TeamViewer isn't to bad for basic uses.

My main test for most remote control iPod/iPhone apps is how well they transmit and render while Flash videos (singular) are running. Aside from the control feel it's a good test of both connection speeds and rendering ability at a very high level.

I use VNC daily to access my mac pro at home from my mac pro at work....it does not transmit audio....so even if it could play fast enough to play video ( would depend on your home computers upload speed) you wouldn't have audio.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's where Apps like RemoteTap are trying (although not succeeding very well) to embed the audio with its compressed images. The graphics load from flash is a good test. Running a video game like EVE Online is another.

For audio at home I experimented with routing it through a Bluetooth headset while watching. There is a slight disconnect but then again the video is already fairly choppy. If and when the iPhoneOS can run streaming audio in the background it could be possible to get both audio, video, and remote control in the same onboard package.

I would defiantly place TeamViewer on the list of "try this out" Apps to get people thinking about different uses for their iPods/iPads without committing to something as costly as iTeleport.

*edit*
My use of VNC is primarily on the same local network, which is why I can get away with the bluetooth headphone cheat.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's where Apps like RemoteTap are trying (although not succeeding very well) to embed the audio with its compressed images. The graphics load from flash is a good test. Running a video game like EVE Online is another.

For audio at home I experimented with routing it through a Bluetooth headset while watching. There is a slight disconnect but then again the video is already fairly choppy. If and when the iPhoneOS can run streaming audio in the background it could be possible to get both audio, video, and remote control in the same onboard package.

I would defiantly place TeamViewer on the list of "try this out" Apps to get people thinking about different uses for their iPods/iPads without committing to something as costly as iTeleport.

*edit*
My use of VNC is primarily on the same local network, which is why I can get away with the bluetooth headphone cheat.

I'm actually looking forward to trying out Mocha on the iPad....it is slow on my touch but it also is a slower device. I can get it more manageable by lowering my macs res.

Teamviewer is a LOT faster, but it drops colors to 256...so its basically useless.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's the trick with all the VNC and remote desktop Apps. The smaller you make the native desktop resolution the less latency you have. The images being transited are smaller. Also removing complex background images helps as well.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's the trick with all the VNC and remote desktop Apps. The smaller you make the native desktop resolution the less latency you have. The images being transited are smaller. Also removing complex background images helps as well.

Well I can stream my home computer at work very well, with desktop and everything...it really comes down to how fast you can retrieve the data and how well the cpu can handle the images being streamed.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which is why I think both you and I are quite looking forward to both the increased screen size of the iPad and the more powerful processor. Although technically regular Netbooks can and do get in on this kind of use... they just aren't as fun.

Now a really fun control program would be one that would send back multi-gestures to the main computer and give you a multi-touch input overlay to whatever OS you're using.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which is why I think both you and I are quite looking forward to both the increased screen size of the iPad and the more powerful processor. Although technically regular Netbooks can and do get in on this kind of use... they just aren't as fun.

Now a really fun control program would be one that would send back multi-gestures to the main computer and give you a multi-touch input overlay to whatever OS you're using.

Well, my biggest hope is that magic mouse will be supported...since the keyboard already will be. Would be great to be able to use my mouse on vnc sessions.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooh, had not thought of Apple's Magic Mouse. I still use an old Logitech Mx310 USB mouse so don't usually keep up with Apple's latest custom mice. As long as there is some way to record and send the touch events and for OSX to interpret them....

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kind of a kick to the top... now that the iPad is out in wild how has the VNC experiance been with the various iPhone bulit Apps using the iPad 2x mode?

I don't have an iPad myself yet but am curious if there was any speed improvement.

Most reactions

Latest posts