What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing with a new computer

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
My problem is that I have an ipad full of the photos, apps and music that I want to keep... But the computer I originally used to synchronize with the Ipad has died. Now when I want to transfer all to the new computer with itunes the warning screen tells me that I can only sync with one computer and if I do this therefore, I presumably will copy an empty music folder , empty photos folder to the ipad and lose all my precious stuff. What is the solution ? ... If one exists

Thanks
John Arthurson
 

wytey

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 29, 2011
Messages
768
Reaction score
7
Location
UK
Website
giffgaff.com
Johnarthurson said:
My problem is that I have an ipad full of the photos, apps and music that I want to keep... But the computer I originally used to synchronize with the Ipad has died. Now when I want to transfer all to the new computer with itunes the warning screen tells me that I can only sync with one computer and if I do this therefore, I presumably will copy an empty music folder , empty photos folder to the ipad and lose all my precious stuff. What is the solution ? ... If one exists

Thanks
John Arthurson

Read this article for instructions

http://www.knowyourcell.com/apple/a...ary_and_ipad_purchases_to_a_new_computer.html

I bleed in 6 colours
 
OP
J

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
OP
J

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
Again thanks
this works for any items purchased through the store ......but doesnt work for photos on the ipad, nor for CDs that were transferred to the ipad originally. It doesnt solve the problems... that solution seemed tantalizingly close with the last link you posted !
 

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
17,091
Reaction score
747
Location
Cranbrook, Kent, UK
In iTunes you can choose to manually sync, if you do this you should get the option to transfer content from iPad to your new computer.......I could be wrong though!

The Archangel
 
OP
J

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
I looked at this option and you cqn see the ipad as an item in windows explorer. However items do not transfer by dragging to windows
On the ipad help it suggest that you can use the ipod as a hard drive but dont say that it works with ipad....confused ? I was
 

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Location
NYC
If your old computer wont boot up then I say - Remove the hard drive from your old computer, but an.external case for it for $15 on Newegg or eBay. Plug it into the eSTATA port or USB port on the new computer and transfer everything! I went through this with an iPod touch and this solution makes it impossibile to lose any data or media!

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!
 
OP
J

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
Good idea, and it seems that I may need to do this since retrograde transfers via itunes seem impossible
 

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
22,007
Reaction score
8,980
Location
Milton-Freewater, OR
To move yor photos from the iPad to the new computer, PhotoSync works well. There is a companion program for the computer that will improve how it works. It is still worth your while to try and recover the old drive as suggested. Photos synced to the iPad are rarely the same quality as the originals.

Go into Preferences in iTunes, and under the Devices tab, turn of auto syncing. That way you can connect the iPad without worrying about whether it will overwrite all your stuff.

Now you can connect your iPad to iTunes and try the Tranfer Purchases option. If it does not transfer all your media, then don't sync. You'll need to find another route. Otherwise, you're good to go. Any musc synced to the iPad through iTunes (purchased in the iTunes store or not) should transfer.

Music or media in apps other than the iPod, Video, or iBooks app (third party stuff) should not be affected by a sync, as long as the app themselves get transfered to iTunes. Make sure the apps are transfered, and make sure they are set to sync (Apps set to sync and checked in the Apps section)

If you accidently remove the apps, the media in them will get deleted too. To protect against this, do a backup before syncing. Then save off that backup to a different place on the computer, to prevent accidental overwriting. You can find out where backups are stored here: iPad: About backups
 

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
17,091
Reaction score
747
Location
Cranbrook, Kent, UK
Johnarthurson said:
Good idea, and it seems that I may need to do this since retrograde transfers via itunes seem impossible

None of what you want to do is impossible, Twerppoet (@TP, my auto correct is still coming up with your name.....whats going on?) has made some good suggestions for doing it natively in iTunes but if this doesn't work then there are 3rd party software solutions which will help (google is your friend). Without knowing your computers OS I can't advise which but I have had to do this with an iDevice before using OSX, I used a 3rd party solution and it worked like a dream and they are available for other platforms.

If you are able to strip out your old HD as suggested above then it's a good idea.

In future it's worthwhile creating regular bootable clones of your computers hard drive to an external hard drive (they are dirt cheap these days), this is without doubt the easiest way to protect yourself from something like this in future.....oh, and yes, I am a preacher from the latter day church of back ups!

The Archangel
 
OP
J

Johnarthurson

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
Gabriel1 said:
None of what you want to do is impossible, Twerppoet (@TP, my auto correct is still coming up with your name.....whats going on?) has made some good suggestions for doing it natively in iTunes but if this doesn't work then there are 3rd party software solutions which will help (google is your friend). Without knowing your computers OS I can't advise which but I have had to do this with an iDevice before using OSX, I used a 3rd party solution and it worked like a dream and they are available for other platforms.

If you are able to strip out your old HD as suggested above then it's a good idea.

In future it's worthwhile creating regular bootable clones of your computers hard drive to an external hard drive (they are dirt cheap these days), this is without doubt the easiest way to protect yourself from something like this in future.....oh, and yes, I am a preacher from the latter day church of back ups!

The Archangel

Thanks for the last 2 suggestions and for all of them to date.... Great to see such willing help is at hand !!!
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top