What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing ipad to new macbook

liamsutton6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys is there a way to sync to a new mac without having to erase or restore the iPad and start from scratch

Liam

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was the iPad setup on a PC? If so you will have to erase it and let it be formatted for Mac.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect to the MacBook. It will ask you if you want to sync with the MacBook. It should then ask if you want to save what is on the iPad. Tell it yes, and it should do so. You should have your iPad apps backed up anyway, but I am pretty sure that you do not lose anything by transferring to another machine. The iPad does not care if it was a Mac or PC that it is synced with, it is not in either format. You do need to go and authorize your Macbook on your iTunes account.

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to copy your iTunes directory from your PC to the Mac and then run iTunes on your mac everything you had before will be there. It just needs some slight changes.

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Connect to the MacBook. It will ask you if you want to sync with the MacBook. It should then ask if you want to save what is on the iPad. Tell it yes, and it should do so. You should have your iPad apps backed up anyway, but I am pretty sure that you do not lose anything by transferring to another machine. The iPad does not care if it was a Mac or PC that it is synced with, it is not in either format. You do need to go and authorize your Macbook on your iTunes account.

My bad. I could have sworn the iPad used one filesystem format for the PC and then hpfs for the Mac.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know of any particular file system used with the iPad. OSX uses HFS, and since both that and iOS are Darwin based, I would assume it would use that instead of FAT32 or HSFP. However, in both cases, the files in the iTunes library are in XML format. The only difference is that the Windows library will have the suffix .itl to satisfy the operating system.

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know of any particular file system used with the iPad. OSX uses HFS, and since both that and iOS are Darwin based, I would assume it would use that instead of FAT32 or HSFP. However, in both cases, the files in the iTunes library are in XML format. The only difference is that the Windows library will have the suffix .itl to satisfy the operating system.

I concur with Seadog. I migrated all my iTunes stuff to my Mac from my PC and as Seadog states, just remove the .itl suffix from the library file and that's it, I know I've done it.

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know. I feel a bit stupid now for my misunderstanding.

I'm sorry if I came off rude Seadog.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because I know NOTHING about Mac OS, other than my limited involvement in the last few months with my iPhone and iPad, I'm both curious and dubious about just copying the files and folders from one operating system (Windows) to another (MAC OS) and expecting any kind of compatibility. Perhaps someone can explain that one.

BUT.... The real and most proper method of switching parent computers running iTunes should be settled on, and it seems like two completely different methods are being advised here.

I'm only getting into this because I'm considering making the switch from my PC laptop to a MacBook (something), and if I do that, I'll definately need to know these things also.

Thanks,

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Arch,

I'll be looking that over very closely - a little later at work.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

apple4hong4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1- If your iPad is jailbroken, you can either ssh into it from a local computer and copy all the files. Or you can get a utility to view the filsystem of the iPad and transfer the folder manually.
2- If your iPad isn't jailbroken, you could purchase the ssh app and do the same as above.

Most reactions

Latest posts