What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing Dropbox Webdav Dropdav it's all just to hard for me!

JPSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just me or are all of you finding the syncing of files with something like Dropbox etc a real pain? Why is it so difficult to open a file from iPad into a program, edit it, save it and auto sync it with Dropbox. I've through webdav, dropdav and so on. And don't say it's easy because for most of us it isn't AND it also requires too many steps. I'm getting so frustrated with this I'm thinking of dumping the iPad (which I do like, just not some of its portability issues) and sticking with the old trusty Mac Pro laptop. Ok rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wait a bit for iOS 5 and iCloud. That should be easier to use.

Also, some apps have DropBox integrated, making it easier to use for that app. Depending on what exactly you are doing that may be an option. Hold in mind that the iPad is only a couple years old. It takes time for developers and competition to tweak applications to usable perfection (or as close to as possible).

Other than that, just use it. Moving files on the iPad takes some getting used to, just like finding files on a computer took time to learn. Before long you won't even think about it.

OP
J

JPSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you want get rid of the ipad because of Dropbox? You could just learn how to use it or find something else and learn that.

No, of course not. Any type of syncing through clouds or webdav etc is just an absolute pain. I write scripts and trying to get a script onto my iPad that I can then work on and save back to a cloud or some kind of online storage for syncing to my desktop and laptop is a farce. On my laptop it's the easiest thing in the world and I don't think the iPad suffers from a technical limitation but a corporate one. File transfers has been deliberately kneecapped.

OP
J

JPSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Also, some apps have DropBox integrated, making it easier to use for that app. Depending on what exactly you are doing that may be an option. Hold in mind that the iPad is only a couple years old. It takes time for developers and competition to tweak applications to usable perfection (or as close to as possible).

Other than that, just use it. Moving files on the iPad takes some getting used to, just like finding files on a computer took time to learn. Before long you won't even think about it.

I am hoping iCloud will be a godsend and here's hoping there will be a limited size free account too. BUT syncing items through Dropbox should not be a problem if Apple had opened up the accessibility of the iPad. I still contend this is one of the main drawbacks and for people who use the iPad for business it's pretty essential. Thanks for replying

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Hi just poking around in the forums and noticed the discussion on iOS 5 and Icloud. Just wondering Icloud and what sort of security might be built in.
I don't know a lot about webspace etc so I was hoping you might be able to provide some info.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
mjtyler said:
Hi just poking around in the forums and noticed the discussion on iOS 5 and Icloud. Just wondering Icloud and what sort of security might be built in.
I don't know a lot about webspace etc so I was hoping you might be able to provide some info.

No idea, though I expect the usual login/password authentication at a minimum.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
JPSC said:
I am hoping iCloud will be a godsend and here's hoping there will be a limited size free account too. BUT syncing items through Dropbox should not be a problem if Apple had opened up the accessibility of the iPad. I still contend this is one of the main drawbacks and for people who use the iPad for business it's pretty essential. Thanks for replying

The free account will be 5 GB. Purchases from the Apple's stores (iBooks, iTunes, App Store) will not count against the limit. Additional space can be purchased. I don't remember the whole schedule, but it starts at $40/yr for 20 GB.

Support for DropBox (and iCloud when it comes) is partialy up to the developers. There is no reason an app can not read and write directly to DropBox. There is at least one text editor that does this. Sorry, I can't remember the name at the moment.

You mentioned scripting in another post. I don't know their full feature set but you might want to check out iEditor and CodeToGo, if you haven't already.

Johnny223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use OrganiDoc (their iPad version is called OrganiDoc HD) to move/sync iPad files with Dropbox and all sorts of web storage and it's been a breeze..

OP
J

JPSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JPSC said:
You mentioned scripting in another post. I don't know their full feature set but you might want to check out iEditor and CodeToGo, if you haven't already.

5gb should be enough for me. As to scripting I should have been a little clearer. I meant film scripts rather than software scripting. I write with Final Draft on the desktop but on the iPad I have another program that can read fdx and fdr files. For some reason whenever I go to open an fdr/fdx file from dropbox or any other source such as email attachments it doesn't pick up with the right software. It gives no options to "open with". When Final Draft come up with their iPad version I think this might be solved (I hope). We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org

The problem is not the iPad itself nor dropbox but your app not supporting dropbox or the "open with..." feature. Just write to the developpers of that app to have them support both of these and you'll be in heaven...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts