What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync via WiFi?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New iPad3 owner here........
I've synched with my PC/iTunes several times to install apps and songs.....worked fine.

I notice there is an option to turn on synch with WiFi.....how does this work?
Any time iTunes is open on the PC and the iPad is on it will synch?
Can I tell it when to synch or does it automatically?

I like this idea but I don't want it synching when I'm surfing so I kill the bandwidth.

Thanks..

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the wifi sync it will sync when you have your iPad hooked up to a power supply and your iTunes is open. This is assuming your computer is on the same wifi network that your iPad is connected to. I have mine setup that way so that I don't have to hook the iPad up to my pc via the data cable in order to keep it in sync with my iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fear not. This feature works once in a blue moon. Since wireless sync was introduced with ios 5, I've torn my hair out trying to get it to work reliably. I haven't seen a wireless sync happen in months now, and I've changed nothing. If it works, great, but I don't rely on it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fear not. This feature works once in a blue moon. Since wireless sync was introduced with ios 5, I've torn my hair out trying to get it to work reliably. I haven't seen a wireless sync happen in months now, and I've changed nothing. If it works, great, but I don't rely on it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

I wonder why yours doesn't seem to want to wirelessly sync. That's all I have been doing since 5.0. I have had a few times where there was a hang up and I had to cancel the sync process on my iPad, but overall things have been working fine. Too bad it isn't for you, Kevin. I actually like the new way now.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder why yours doesn't seem to want to wirelessly sync. That's all I have been doing since 5.0. I have had a few times where there was a hang up and I had to cancel the sync process on my iPad, but overall things have been working fine. Too bad it isn't for you, Kevin. I actually like the new way now.

So do I when it actually works. However, for the amount of time I actually spend near my computer, I don't sweat it. Home sharing, and remote, work OK now so I'm happy enough.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with wifi sync. I launch iTunes on my iMac, it asks to let the iPad have access, and it does nothing until I click the Sync button. Then it just works, whether or not the iPad is plugged into the charger. There is an automatic option, but I've never used it.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions