What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync to more than one computer?

snmazzei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way that I can get the songs that I have purchased from iTunes onto my iPad if I have already used another computer to sync it? All my songs are on an old laptop that probably doesn't have much life left in it. For this reason, when I received my new iPad, I used a newer computer to sync and register it. I'm just not sure if I can now hook my iPad up to the laptop. Thanks!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
copy your itunes library into a usb stick and move the folder to the new computer. Then you have them for your new sync

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you’re simply looking to move your iTunes library to an entirely new computer, the process is actually quite a bit simpler than relocating the content, provided certain conditions are met:

You are moving your iTunes library between two computers using the same operating system and iTunes version; and
You plan to store the iTunes library database and content in the same relative locations on the new computer
If this is the case, then transferring your iTunes library to a new computer is quite simple: Just copy the entire iTunes folder and all sub-folders from your “Music” (Mac) or “My Music” (Windows) folder on your old computer to the corresponding folder on the new computer.

If you have changed your iTunes Media Folder location from the default, simply make sure you copy that to the corresponding location on the new computer as well. In other words, if you have your iTunes Media folder set to D:Music then you must copy it to D:Music on the new computer—remember that iTunes stores the full path to each music file in your library, so your music files must be in the same place on the new computer in order for iTunes to find them.

Taken directly from the link by pocobear, it is that easy...copy folder to new computer. I've done this several times without issue. If you have any issues just use the import function to bring the folders/songs in from the USB

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never Sync Songs - I just copy them

This is another good reason to get away from syncing with iTune.
I have all my books songs what ever, on a folder and I move them in and out through the LIB, and then I delete them from tje LIB.
Syncing only App and Pictures (As of yet)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have puzzled a syncing problem.Could you guys suggest any backup solution about how to transfer ipad to computer in condition of iTunes crashed?

Very very simple.
Just copy the all iTune directory from one pc to the other.
Leave only the application and the photos data .
All the rest should be save in some other general folder.

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that simple, check out this article.
Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

This will work as long as you have signed on with the same iTune account on both computers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that link! I just transferred my iTunes info to a new computer and sync'd the iPad to the new computer perfectly on the first try without losing anything!

sinasin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding Apple will only an iPhone to be synched with one computer at a time. I've had similar issues and had to use a program to transfer the music from my iPhone to my computer, then transfer the music from that program to my itunes account. There may be other ways, but that was my experience.

AlinaiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding Apple will only an iPhone to be synched with one computer at a time. I've had similar issues and had to use a program to transfer the music from my iPhone to my computer, then transfer the music from that program to my itunes account. There may be other ways, but that was my experience.
itunes only allows to sync music with one computer. if you connect your ipad to itunes on a different computer and try to sync the music, you will get a warning that you can only sync with one computer and that all music on the ipad will be wiped if you try to sync with this new computer.
Follow this article about How to transfer iPod/iPhone/iPad to computer ,which includes the transferring of music, photos, videos, SMS, Contact ect. between iPod/iPhone/iPad and computer(PC or Mac).

Last edited:

sputnik00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlinaiPad said:
itunes only allows to sync music with one computer. if you connect your ipad to itunes on a different computer and try to sync the music, you will get a warning that you can only sync with one computer and that all music on the ipad will be wiped if you try to sync with this new computer.

does the same restriction apply to apps"

Most reactions