What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you sync to more than one computer?

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to sync to more than one computer. For example, my apps and some music is on one computer, movies are on a second computer and my wife's mail is on a third. All have Itunes installed. If it is not possible, I guess I could transfer the movies to the computer with apps, but I can't transfer my wife's email. Any suggestions, information would be appreciated.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would sync your iPad to the PC with the apps and the music, then sync only the movies with the movie PC ( this can be done if you choose not to sync movies with the first PC), sync the wifes email through mobile me? If she uses gmail this is definitely doable. You can have more than one email account on the iPad just set it up under Settings - Mail,Contacts,Calendars.

A little more information from you on the particulars would be needed to justify what I have said, but it may all work.

There is also a few movie streaming apps on the app store like AirVideo if you are not able to sync the movies or want them to take up space on the iPad.
AirVideo will not however allow you to stream drm protected movies, but the streaming is excellent in both quality and speed, it also does conversion of file formats on the fly. That way you can keep the movies on the movie PC and all you would need is a small server app that streams from a shared folder or folders.

Good luck ;)

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're not able to sync a ipad to more than one computer in the traditional manner via iTunes for music / apps / movies. As soon as you move your iPad to another computer it is going to tell you that this device is not registered to this computer.

AirVideo will allow you to stream your video to your ipad via your wifi.

email via gmail will not be an issue

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will join any computers that are registered to the same account under Shared on the sidebar. The computers have to have wifi, and I am not sure about how it works with PCs. So you can move items from one computer to another with litle problem. I use it to make sure all the itunes articles I use are available on any of my computers. I use my laptop to download CDs from family and friends, then when I get hope, I load it onto my iMac hooked to the sound system. This makes it easy for the designated iPad computer to access all files I want on it.

Most reactions